Why did Giovanni di Bicci de' Medici want his sons, to be humble and hidden?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
He made his branch of the family rise to prominence among those which mattered in Florence
such a rise was bound to create resentment
a bit of discretion was the proof of his carefulness in avoiding unnecessary complications
by all account he was a very careful man , swimming in the middle of the social stream , a bit at the back

Star

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
USA
Hmm, I don't know. Where did you read this? I'm not doubting the idea, but I just haven't read anything specifically about Giovanni di Bicci de Medici keeping his sons in hiding. Admittedly, I have only read a few general biographies of the Medici family so maybe this is a fact of which I am unaware. I know for certain Giovanni kept Cosimo and his brother out of politics and social limelight until late in their teens because he was trying to avoid the appearance of his family trying to consolidate power as their wealth grew exponentially after acquiring the papal accounts. He most certanly kept his sons humble. Sparky addresses that in the post above.

Star

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
USA
My copy is at home under a pile of other books. If you have it handy and if it is not too much trouble, could you quote and note the page number?

Mar 2018
United States Of America
Be inoffensive to the rich and strong, he advised them, while being consistently charitable to poor and weak. Do not appear to give advice, but put your views forward discreetly in conversation. Be wary of going to the Palzzo della Signoria; wait to summoned and when you are summoned do what you are asked to do and never display any pride should you receive a lot of votes... Avoid litigation and political controversy and always keep out of the public eye.
I don't know what page this is. Because I have all my new books on my kindle app on my phone. :injured:

Star

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
USA
I don't know what page this is. Because I have all my new books on my kindle app on my phone. :injured:
Thanks, that's great. It sounds like he wanted them to be humble and unassuming because of the danger associated with looking like a power-hungry upstart family. His vast wealth made the family a possible target for scandal and enmity. At first (per your title) I thought you meant Giovanni raised his sons in hiding like some type of Rapunzel! Anyway, that is not that surprising, to me - that he gave such advice in the excerpt you provided..

According to Wkipedia:
Despite his growing wealth, Giovanni was diligent in his efforts not to separate the Medici family from the other citizens in Florence. He did so by continuously ensuring that he and his sons dressed and behaved like the average working-class citizens of Florence. This was in part due to his desire not to draw undue attention to himself and his family, and to ensure that, unlike other wealthy families, the Medici remained in the favor of the population. His hopes were to build a positive reputation of his family by avoiding conflicts with the law and keeping the people of Florence happy. His disposition can be understood in his writings, “Strive to keep the people at peace, and the strong places well cared for. Engage in no legal complications, for he who impedes the law shall perish by the law. Do not draw public attention on yourselves yet keep free from blemish as I leave you.”[3]

Mar 2018
United States Of America
Thanks, that's great. It sounds like he wanted them to be humble and unassuming because of the danger associated with looking like a power-hungry upstart family. His vast wealth made the family a possible target for scandal and enmity. At first (per your title) I thought you meant Giovanni raised his sons in hiding like some type of Rapunzel! Anyway, that is not that surprising, to me - that he gave such advice in the excerpt you provided..

According to Wkipedia:
He's such a foil to Rodrigo Borgia

Similar History Discussions