Why did Hinduism not survive in Indonesia and rest of SE Asia

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
There are different reasons for each region. The fall of Hinduism is today's vietnam is can be attributed to fall of the Hindu Champa kingdom to Nam Viet of the North. But Buddhism practiced in South-East Asia and East Asia has lots of Hindu elements in it even in Chinese Buddhism.
The Champa kingdom was already a Muslim kingdom, just like the kingdoms in today's Malaysia & Indonesia, by the time it fell to Dai Viet.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
The Champa kingdom was already a Muslim kingdom, just like the kingdoms in today's Malaysia & Indonesia, by the time it fell to Dai Viet.
Only in Cambodia most Chams are Muslims, in Vietnam they are mainly Hindus.

Jul 2018
North America
The death and decline of Dharmic religions in Indonesia marks the end of Aryan civilization connection with Indonesia.

Today with religion of Arabs as state religion indonesia and malay state are far more connected to the Semitic civilization of Middle east than Aryan (Indo-Iranian) civilizations in India and Iran.

Indonesia and Malay Muslims today dont feel anykind of connection to the Indo-Iranians but they surely feel closer to the middle eastern people like Arabs due to Islam while dying minority of Hindu amd Buddhist of that whole region still have some soft spot for Indians as i noted when i visited Bali and Java. It eas a very emotional journey for me to see what my Arya ancestors achived after living as nomads for thousonds of years and spread their Brahmanic Civilization to all over Asia.

I say natives of that region chose their own destiny and we should support them 100%.

Jul 2017
Sydney
I believe even Philippines has some followers of Islam.

If not for Islam, Philippines would have been 100% Christian.

Japan is an interesting case study as it has allowed neither Islam nor Christianity to take any deep roots.

I've read how at one point of time, Japan was dangerously close to turning Christian as a result of Jesuits who had reached there in 16th century but the local faith fought back and the Shoguns banned it

Apr 2014
Kerala, India
Apart from what you guys are saying the lack of conversion mechanism might also played a role in it. Until Dayananda saraswathi came up with the idea of conversion back to hinduism there was no way to come back to hinduism. There were a lot of taboos and rules how you will loose Hinduism but absolute no way to get back. I think even in India conversion efforts gained pace only in 1980s. Still to date there is no larger efforts for converting people like christianity or Islam. So this might also played a role in it.

Reactions: Kadi