Why did Indonesia and Malaysia become Muslim while the Philippines didn't?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
If there had been no inquisition in Goa, hardly 2-3% of the population would have converted to Catholicism like the British India.
That was not my point. My point was that catolicism exists in Goa due to the Portuguese. And I think that is inquestionable. I don’t know if the Inquisition helped to spread the Catholicism in Goa or not. Eventually. There are two ways of expanding a religion, any religion: With and without force.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I can’t edit the last post anymore:

Growth of Islam in India's West Coast was stagnant in 16th century.
But that sentence or is irrelevant or supports the relevance of my question, depending on what decade you are referring, since the Portuguese arrived to India in the late of the 15th century. And the first clashes were mostly with the Muslims.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I can’t edit the last post anymore:

But that sentence or is irrelevant or supports the relevance of my question, depending on what decade you are referring, since the Portuguese arrived to India in the late of the 15th century. And the first clashes were mostly with the Muslims.
Yes, the region was the part of Bahmani Sultanate of the Deccan. Inquisition did helped in establishing Catholicism in Goa. By the time Novas Conquistas became the part of Portuguese Empire, Portuguese had abandoned the inquisition and the policy of forced conversion and the region remain predominantly Hindu, even in 1961 only 1/3rd of Goa was Catholic while Hindus were more than 60% of the population.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Yes, the region was the part of Bahmani Sultanate of the Deccan. Inquisition did helped in establishing Catholicism in Goa. By the time Novas Conquistas became the part of Portuguese Empire, Portuguese had abandoned the inquisition and the policy of forced conversion and the region remain predominantly Hindu, even in 1961 only 1/3rd of Goa was Catholic while Hindus were more than 60% of the population.
Goa under the Portuguese during the Inquisition time was pretty small compared to its later size. They annexed much more lands afterwards, but by then they had abandoned forced conversions. That is why Goa in 1961 was only 1/3 Christian.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Goa under the Portuguese during the Inquisition time was pretty small compared to its later size. They annexed much more lands afterwards, but by then they had abandoned forced conversions. That is why Goa in 1961 was only 1/3 Christian.
That's what I said. Novas conquistas always remained Hindu majority. Inquisition was abandoned in Portuguese India in 1812. The Portuguese persecution was mainly confined to Goa and Kerala against Hindus and St. Thomas Christian community.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Yes. When I said that I don’t know if the Inquisition helped to spread the Catholicism in Goa or not was because many Portuguese religious practices and laws were and still are often wrongly attributed to the Inquisition, even if also the two often almost merged, but by the law the Inquisition didn’t had power over the Muslims or Indus, but we also know that in Goa that was not exactly the case. So, due to my ignorance on the subject, I maintain that I don’t know if the Inquisition helped to spread the Catholicism in Goa. To be clear, I don’t doubt that forced conversions existed. I just don’t have doubts that they can be solely/mostly attributed to the Inquisition. The history and practices of the Inquisition also aren’t among my usual readings.

Mar 2019
East Indies
And without the Spanish, the Filipinos have become Muslims, correct?

Also, which other groups in Southeast Asia would have become Muslims without the Spanish and other Europeans?
While that opinion in itself is quite clear i'd like to elaborate some points just for the sake of it.

Based on the commonly accepted theory, Islam in South East Asia was first introduced by merchants from Persia, India, and Arabia between the 7th to the 13th century. South East Asia since the ancient times was and still is an International Trade Hub connecting the Orient to the Occident carrying with it trade goods and luxuries. And since Islam was first pioneered by merchants, i believe that only regions with trade significance would be exposed to Islam, at the least initially. This brought us to the reason why i believe that the northern part of Philippines (which is currently where most Christians in the Philippines reside) would probably remain mostly Pagan for quite some time had the Spaniards never implanted Catholicism in the area. It was simply too far from the major trade routes. The nearest minor trade center which was in Brunei was located some 2000 Km southwestward from the present day Manila.

Although with time the area would eventually become Muslim, evident with the existence of the Sultanate of Sulu, it would still be quite a painstakingly long process for Islam to take a firm root in the entirety of the present-day Philippines.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
That's what I said. Novas conquistas always remained Hindu majority. Inquisition was abandoned in Portuguese India in 1812. The Portuguese persecution was mainly confined to Goa and Kerala against Hindus and St. Thomas Christian community.
I was explaining how a fully Christianized Goa after forced conversions, ended up with only 1/3 Christian in 1961, that you didn't.

Mar 2019
KL
i have heard that marathas stopped growth of christianity in goa

to be honest christian missionaries and european colonists were no better when it came to religion, the hindus also converted a big proportions of these same south indians from buddhism to hinduism. hindu missionaries were trying to convert north east territory people into hinduism in the seventeenth century.

it is amusing to see how these catholic countries esp france and spain who tried to convert every inch of their occupied territories to christianity are majority atheists today and now preach human rights and democracy and values of western civilization instead of christianity.

i also think that there must have been christian community in goa before portugese, but must have been converted into a new sect.

the Filipino converted because their hindu rajas converted, thats what i read from philippines history, islam still survives in the philippones, hinduism/buddhism doesnt.

regards

Last edited:
Reactions: prashanth

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
to be honest christian missionaries and european colonists were no better when it came to religion, the hindus also converted a big proportions of these same south indians from buddhism to hinduism. hindu missionaries were trying to convert north east territory people into hinduism in the seventeenth century.
True. Brahmin missionaries had used forced conversion techniques to impose caste system and convert people into Hinduism across India. That is how Vedic Hinduism spread.