Why did Indonesia and Malaysia become Muslim while the Philippines didn't?

Jun 2017
usa
i have heard that marathas stopped growth of christianity in goa

to be honest christian missionaries and european colonists were no better when it came to religion, the hindus also converted a big proportions of these same south indians from buddhism to hinduism. hindu missionaries were trying to convert north east territory people into hinduism in the seventeenth century.

it is amusing to see how these catholic countries esp france and spain who tried to convert every inch of their occupied territories to christianity are majority atheists today and now preach human rights and democracy and values of western civilization instead of christianity.

i also think that there must have been christian community in goa before portugese, but must have been converted into a new sect.

the Filipino converted because their hindu rajas converted, thats what i read from philippines history, islam still survives in the philippones, hinduism/buddhism doesnt.

regards
Is there any document/ literature that says that people were forcibly converted from buddhism to hinduism? As far as I understand, buddhism and Jainism were just different philosophies in the Indian spiritual landscape. There was no such thing as "Hinduism" as such.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I was explaining how a fully Christianized Goa after forced conversions, ended up with only 1/3 Christian in 1961, that you didn't.
If you are trying to convey that Goa reverted back to Hinduism, that's not true. all Hindus were either converted or driven away. 70% of territory of Goa was acquired after Portuguese abandoned inquisition against Hindus and new Christians, Goa's Hindus are from new territories. Beside, many Catholics migrated to British India to cities like Mumbai, Calcutta and Karachi looking for works.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
i have heard that marathas stopped growth of christianity in goa

to be honest christian missionaries and european colonists were no better when it came to religion, the hindus also converted a big proportions of these same south indians from buddhism to hinduism. hindu missionaries were trying to convert north east territory people into hinduism in the seventeenth century.

it is amusing to see how these catholic countries esp france and spain who tried to convert every inch of their occupied territories to christianity are majority atheists today and now preach human rights and democracy and values of western civilization instead of christianity.

i also think that there must have been christian community in goa before portugese, but must have been converted into a new sect.

the Filipino converted because their hindu rajas converted, thats what i read from philippines history, islam still survives in the philippones, hinduism/buddhism doesnt.

regards
Buddhism has little history in South of the country. Even Jainism was mainly confined to pockets across Karnataka. Only Sinhalese have a major history associated with Buddhism.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
True. Brahmin missionaries had used forced conversion techniques to impose caste system and convert people into Hinduism across India. That is how Vedic Hinduism spread.
Brahmins indulging in forced conversion is nothing more than a pulp fiction and dravidianist propaganda.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Is there any document/ literature that says that people were forcibly converted from buddhism to hinduism? As far as I understand, buddhism and Jainism were just different philosophies in the Indian spiritual landscape. There was no such thing as "Hinduism" as such.
Jainism and Buddhism is often portrayed as an anti-Hindu movement by you-know-who instead of parallel religious movements along with various Hindu religious schools. The decline of Buddhism and Jainism can be attributed to rise of Vaishnavism, which is very identical to Jainism and Buddhism in their religious ideology and religious movement by Adi Shankaracharya.

Mar 2019
KL
Kindly elaborate, I have not heard of any major Buddhist history of South India except for Satavahanas in Andhra Pradesh around the city of Amravati.
amravati was one of the major three buddhist schools, so it was a very big school in south india to begin with, presence of buddhism in srilanka and maldives alone and even in lakshadweep shows a prominent buddhist presence in south india, have also heard that when buddhism was nearly wiped out from north india, there were still significant amounts of buddhist pilgrimages in bihar from south india.

regards

Apr 2019
India
Buddhism probably had even bigger hold in the south compared to the north.

regards
I'm sorry but Buddhism never had a big hold both in South and North India. Major religion of India has always been animism/village deity worship/ancestor worship. Buddhism was patronized by elites that's why it prospered but it is essentially a monastic religion. Jainism is also too hard to follow. Since Hinduism allow people to have as many personal deities as one likes and has no religions restrictions(except for brahmins) so it was natural for people to follow it.
Moreover I think if British had not classified Hinduism and Buddhism separately. We would not even having this discussion.
Indian people were not even that serious about religion except the scholars.
Only onslaught of foreign religions made them unite to form a seperate religious identity.
In it's last days Buddhism had come so close to Hinduism. Check out Mahayana sect.
Most importantly Hinduism is a pagan tradition for them all Gods are real and they are more attached with their land not with their deities.

Mar 2019
KL
I'm sorry but Buddhism never had a big hold both in South and North India. Major religion of India has always been animism/village deity worship/ancestor worship. Buddhism was patronized by elites that's why it prospered but it is essentially a monastic religion
using this logic, one can declare practically all religions as elite religions until modern era.

regards

Similar History Discussions