Why did Indonesia and Malaysia become Muslim while the Philippines didn't?

Apr 2019
India
using this logic, one can declare practically all religions as elite religions until modern era.

regards
Not at all. Organised religions like Chritianity and Islam are antithesis of this. Because they have been codified.
If you don't believe me than I'll suggest you to pick any piece of literature from either north or south which is contemporary to supposed Buddhism dominant era. You will find that there are only one or two characters who are affiliated to Buddhism. Not only this there was no imaginary Hindu-Buddhist conflict. Monks seem to be well respected even in their declining era.
I've told you earlier that Buddhists were not independent like other ascetic sects of India.

Mar 2019
KL
Not at all. Organised religions like Chritianity and Islam are antithesis of this. Because they have been codified.
If you don't believe me than I'll suggest you to pick any piece of literature from either north or south which is contemporary to supposed Buddhism dominant era. You will find that there are only one or two characters who are affiliated to Buddhism. Not only this there was no imaginary Hindu-Buddhist conflict. Monks seem to be well respected even in their declining era.
I've told you earlier that Buddhists were not independent like other ascetic sects of India.
now you are using literary references, previously you were giving examples of villages being animist, i really think your arguments are contradictory, are you telling me the dominant animism was the subject of most of the indian literature?

i also dont understand your ''organised'' and ''codified'' religions like islam and christianity, both hinduism and buddhism were codified and organised, the word ''sangha'' was used to refer to the community of buddhists.

yes the buddhist texts indeed have referred to hindus as non believers, akin to kafirs of the muslims or infidels, jaina have frequently termed hindu religion as heretic religion, the jaina texts from chandragupta mauryan era reflect how the king patronised heretics in his courts. i was just reading this yesterday would site you the link as soon as i find it.

regards

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
amravati was one of the major three buddhist schools, so it was a very big school in south india to begin with, presence of buddhism in srilanka and maldives alone and even in lakshadweep shows a prominent buddhist presence in south india, have also heard that when buddhism was nearly wiped out from north india, there were still significant amounts of buddhist pilgrimages in bihar from south india.

regards
Maldivians, Sinhalese, Mahl of Minicoy in Lakshadweep are closely related people who speak similar sounding Indo-Aryan languages. But I was interested in knowing the history of Buddhism in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Similarly, except for Karnataka, Jainism too has negligible history in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra/Telangana.

Mar 2019
KL
Maldivians, Sinhalese, Mahl of Minicoy in Lakshadweep are closely related people who speak similar sounding Indo-Aryan languages. But I was interested in knowing the history of Buddhism in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Similarly, except for Karnataka, Jainism too has negligible history in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra/Telangana.
really strange man, you are now using colonial period linguistic theories even for buddhism, which is really strange, sinhalese are indo aryan so they adopted buddhism as with maldives? :lol::lol:, andhra pradesh was also indo aryan speaking nation?

regards

Apr 2019
India
now you are using literary references, previously you were giving examples of villages being animist, i really think your arguments are contradictory, are you telling me the dominant animism was the subject of most of the indian literature?

i also dont understand your ''organised'' and ''codified'' religions like islam and christianity, both hinduism and buddhism were codified and organised, the word ''sangha'' was used to refer to the community of buddhists.

yes the buddhist texts indeed have referred to hindus as non believers, akin to kafirs of the muslims or infidels, jaina have frequently termed hindu religion as heretic religion, the jaina texts from chandragupta mauryan era reflect how the king patronised heretics in his courts. i was just reading this yesterday would site you the link as soon as i find it.

regards
I'm strictly talking about non-religious literature(which is abundant) and which is most likely to be free of bias.

Well Hinduism is open source.

Yes Buddhism is organised religion and they are first missionary religion of the earth.
The shramanic tradition prospered by negation of vedic tradition so it's natural you will come across unpalatable description of 'Hindus' in their text.(By the way the wandering yogis were also present during time of Vedas but they did not indulge in worldly matters and did not negate any sect.)
But shramanas did not carry weapons, did not force-converted, did not destroy yajanas, did not kill, did not impose taxes on non-believers, did not destroy cultures. As I've told you in Indian tradition you fight your opponents only with 'words'.
Later you will get numerous examples of Hindu-Buddhist collaboration on various subjects.
The
Neo-Buddhists may not like to acknowledge it but Buddhism itself is heavily influenced by Samkhya (a Hindu darshan) and also echoes many ideas of Vedas.
If you don't know animism/village deity worship was main religion of India then you don't know anything about Indian religions at all. I advice you to get access of 'family histories' to know India better.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
really strange man, you are now using colonial period linguistic theories even for buddhism, which is really strange, sinhalese are indo aryan so they adopted buddhism as with maldives? :lol::lol:, andhra pradesh was also indo aryan speaking nation?

regards
I expected that you were going to give evidence of Buddhism and Jainism dominance in entire South India instead of using emoticons. I was only pointing our Sinhalese, Maldivians, Mahl are closely related people.

Similar History Discussions