Why did Jainism decline in India?

Feb 2019
Mumbai
Decline of buddhism is understandable, however Jainism enjoyed a lot of patronage in medieval times. To this day we marvel at grand Jain temples across India, especially in Rajasthan and Gujarat, yet demographically they are tiny. What explains this? Did Hinduism end up gobbling up many parts of Jainism?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Too many restrictions. No non-veg. food, even some vegs prohibited, no booze, eat before sunset, do not light a lamp in the night (it will attract and kill mosquitoes). That is why it only had restricted popularity. Jains were successful in business and administration. The temples were normally built by chief ministers of Indian principalities in Gujarat and Rajasthan. Both Buddhism and Jainism were generally supported by Hindu kings. No problems on that count.

Mar 2019
KL
Too many restrictions. No non-veg. food, even some vegs prohibited, no booze, eat before sunset, do not light a lamp in the night (it will attract and kill mosquitoes). That is why it only had restricted popularity.
wasn't alcohol considered bad in indian society in general? early arab muslims accounts also mention how they appreciated indians abstained from alcohol , i have read kautiliya not liking the alcohol indulgence of the mauryan kings? i have read a research paper which tells that many jain texts mention alcohol as well.

regards

Feb 2019
Mumbai
Too many restrictions. No non-veg. food, even some vegs prohibited, no booze, eat before sunset, do not light a lamp in the night (it will attract and kill mosquitoes). That is why it only had restricted popularity. Jains were successful in business and administration. The temples were normally built by chief ministers of Indian principalities in Gujarat and Rajasthan. Both Buddhism and Jainism were generally supported by Hindu kings. No problems on that count.
Jains have a strict diet, but does this not apply to Vaishnavs too? While Vaishnavs thrived, Jains did not, at least in terms of demography.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I suppose being in Vaikuntha with Vishnu or Krishna was more attractive, colorful, than being a ford-crosser. Yeah, Hinduism too speaks against use of alcohol and non-veg, but it is not so restrictive. It allows lee-way. That is why 70% of Hindus are non-vegs. :)

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Jains have a strict diet, but does this not apply to Vaishnavs too? While Vaishnavs thrived, Jains did not, at least in terms of demography.
I think it is more about Kings who came back to Hindu fold, and others followed suit. Case in point, Hoysala King Bittideva converted to Shri Vaishnavism by Shri RAmAnuja when Jainsim was at its peak.

Jan 2019
Valencia
I have read that there is small native Jain community in Arrah region of Bihar, some of whom are zamindars. It is amazing to think that these are the descendants of the original followers of Mahavira. A member of this community was Hari Prasad Jain who opened HD Jain college in Bihar:
Unknown.jpeg
Another question that emerges from this is whether the Jains in Gujarat, Rajasthan and other states are local converts or followers of Mahavira who dispersed over India and retained their religion.

Similar History Discussions