Why did Louis XIV revoke the Edict of Nantes ?

Jul 2017
France
The revocation of the edict of Nantes led to the deportation of roughly 500,000 of high income and ecomically dynamic Huguenots from France in 1685, caused a lot of damage to French economy.

Huguenots - Wikipedia

I never understood this decision.

Even if he wanted to expel the Protestants, he could have encouraged them to emigrate to the territories of French America ? but instead, the Huguenots emigrated and contributed to the development of France's enemies.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Bigotry !
Louis was made to believe than the use of force with the "dragonnades" had made the protestants an unimportant minority
local administrators were sending inflated reports of conversions to the court

1549206223647.png
dragon missionary using invincible reason to convert heretics

most of the protestant nobles , the only people who mattered in his eyes , like the Turenne and the Conde , of the royal line ,had converted
this was reinforced by a faction at court called the "bigots "
he was made to resent any legal restraint on his authority and saw a lack of uniformity as a weakness

He was wrong !

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
there were rebellions in plenty ,
as long as they were limited in time , place and object that was no great matter
the protestant were presented as "a state within a state"

May 2017
France
The edict of Nantes about the liberty of conscience and cult (1598) had conclued 38 years of civil wars between the Huguenots (10 % of the people,30 % of the aristocracy) and the Valois-Guise.With the peace of Àlais (ales) the ten years of wars between the duke of Rohan and Louis XIII (1620-1629) were conclued by the disparition of the political and militaries privileges of the Huguenots (fall of La Rochelle and of 145 military places).But during the period of 1630-1685 the Huguenots continue their economical and cultural ascension with their money and their books.They had good international relations with UK,the german princes and the switz cantones.So Louis XIV who didn t forget that his ancester Henri IV who had changed four times of Religion,had signed in the edict that the kingdom didn t forget the possibility in the future to reunify the religion,decided after long "dragonnades" to forbid the protestantism, and the possibility to leave France, because of the enormous quantities of money owned by the Huguenots.But since Amboise (1560) Wassy (1562) and the Saint Bartholomew (1572) the absolutely horror inspired by the papism to the huguenots made that we prefered going to normal states than to stay in our native and so bastard state.The number of 500 000 refugees correspond to the period 1560-1700.In 1685-1689,from the edict of Fontainebleau to the slaughters in the South,the number of 300 000 is correct.Family Dupuy (Montbrun) du Mazeldan.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Walking in the south of France I could observe crypts for familly burial on the grounds of some houses ,
I was told the Huguenots could not be buried in the local cemetery as heretics and were denied their own

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The revocation of the edict of Nantes led to the deportation of roughly 500,000 of high income and ecomically dynamic Huguenots from France in 1685, caused a lot of damage to French economy.

Huguenots - Wikipedia

I never understood this decision.

Even if he wanted to expel the Protestants, he could have encouraged them to emigrate to the territories of French America ? but instead, the Huguenots emigrated and contributed to the development of France's enemies.
AFAIK, Louis wanted a Catholic France and a Catholic French Empire. Anyone who didn't fit that bill and who was unwilling to convert to Catholicism wasn't welcomed. Was it stupid? Yes, absolutely--but then again, so was Hitler's rabid hostility towards the Jews two and a half centuries later.

May 2017
France
The story about the cemetaries is true.As we didn t want to be victims of the profanations made by the catholics,we prefered burry our ancients in familial cemetaries…..until today.I speak of course about familial cemetaries not about profanations.The house of the family Dejean de Saint Marcel-my catholic ancesters by the de Sarrazin de la Deveze-who fought for liberty in America (1782,dragoons of Savannah) was built on the huguenot cemetary of Saint Andre de Valborgne,in the Cevennes.In 1950,one of my cousin,director of a society of public labors had to demolish this old house,dangerous for the circulation in the street.His workers have discovered hundreds of kgs of bones.The huguenot cemetary,demolished in 1685,was situated in the center of the village.Today we have the catholic and the protestant cemetaries.

May 2017
France
Mr Jacques Allier,president of the international bank Paribas,told us in 1977 that in 1940 a big number of german officers with mixed names,Otto von Dupond,Wolfgang von Durand etc.....came to our historical bibliothec (180 000 volumes,the biggest private bibliothec of France) to make historical investigations in our archives reserves in the purpose to be indemnized by the government of Vichy.The serial archives "biens des religionnaires fugitifs" had an enormous succes.

Similar History Discussions