Why did most of India's Muslims not emigrate following Partition?

Status
Closed
Apr 2019
India
I just know that Israel is generally widely disliked and in fact even hated throughout much of the Muslim world--hate that could translate into Israelis being attacked if they will actually be allowed to enter some or even many Muslim-majority countries.
Isn't it absurd that subcontinent's muslims hate Jews. We never had any kind of conflict with Jews for which their hatred can be justified(Though I personally don't endorse any kind of hatred).
These fools are fighting someone else's war.

Leave alone Pakistan Jews even hesitate to travel in muslim dominant parts of India. 2008 Mumbai terror attacks were also aimed at them.

Apr 2019
India
@Abaseen: Here's the Wikipedia article for the RSS:

Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh - Wikipedia

You're right; their full name is very hard to remember! Interestingly enough, they opposed the partition of India. Of course, I wonder what they would have done if India would have remained united and the Muslim percentage of the total population there would have continued to grow. This would have made it much harder for them to establish a Hindu state, would it not?
I didn't know RSS's full name could be hard to pronounce for foreigners !
Neither I thought that I would ever defend them before joining this forum !

Seems like people outside India have little conception of complexities and absurdities which decide the direction of the country.
It's not like one fine day more than half of Indian population woke-up from the sleep and decided to be a 'Hindu' nation. I mean there is not even need to make declaration because India is a 'Hindu' nation.
Funnily even with such large membership RSS remains highly unpopular and non-relevant organisation in day to day life of the people. Infact I used to joke that RSS has the capability of repelling people.
It's extremely hard to determine what is 'religion' and what is 'culture' for Hindus. It's foreigners who have decided to brand Hinduism as a religion and to split Buddhism and Sikhism away from it. But from what I've observed it seems like RSS stands for culture rather than religion.

Aug 2019
United States
Isn't it absurd that subcontinent's muslims hate Jews. We never had any kind of conflict with Jews for which their hatred can be justified(Though I personally don't endorse any kind of hatred).
These fools are fighting someone else's war.

Leave alone Pakistan Jews even hesitate to travel in muslim dominant parts of India. 2008 Mumbai terror attacks were also aimed at them.
Hate is a generalization and too strong a word, that said there is a strong dislike of the Israeli state/govt. Even Imran Khan and many Pakistani govt officials compared the recent turmoil in Kashmir and Modi's govt to Nazis so that means they acknowlege that Nazism is an evil and that Hitler was the bad guy in WW2. Lets not forget Hitler was one the most popular leaders among Hindu Indians and mein kempf was a best seller in India, Idk why possibly because he was against the allied nations. As for Pakistani and other South Asian Muslims not liking Israel, it's a simple fact that most muslims and even non-muslims find Israel's treatment of Palestinians, occupation of their lands, and settlements in West Bank abhorrent. Muslims generally support other Muslims which is why many Muslims are upset with India's recent action in Kashmir, that includes governments and civilians. Muslims generally think of the community as a fraternity, which is why there's a lot of activism and fundraisers for Rohingyas and Uighur Muslims. It's just a sense of brotherhood. I'm sure Indian Hindus feel the same way for fellow Hindus, why else would they be so supportive of Pundits? It's cause they're Hindus in spite of being of a different ethnicity.

I don't want to get into a debate about Kashmir cause I know it's very long and unending, everybody is dogmatic about their PoV, and it'll take us to a completely different tangent. I'm just explaining how Muslims think as a community.

Aug 2019
United States
I didn't know RSS's full name could be hard to pronounce for foreigners !
Neither I thought that I would ever defend them before joining this forum !

Seems like people outside India have little conception of complexities and absurdities which decide the direction of the country.
It's not like one fine day more than half of Indian population woke-up from the sleep and decided to be a 'Hindu' nation. I mean there is not even need to make declaration because India is a 'Hindu' nation.
Funnily even with such large membership RSS remains highly unpopular and non-relevant organisation in day to day life of the people. Infact I used to joke that RSS has the capability of repelling people.
It's extremely hard to determine what is 'religion' and what is 'culture' for Hindus. It's foreigners who have decided to brand Hinduism as a religion and to split Buddhism and Sikhism away from it. But from what I've observed it seems like RSS stands for culture rather than religion.
Lol well most of us don't speak Sanskrit, if you ever step out of India you'll realize many can't pronounce words that exist in your language, it's like that with any language. I wouldn't call RSS irrelevant, they're very relevant and powerful right now, Modi is their guy and they've been behind most of the religious violence in India for the past 5 or more years or whenever certain parties are in power.
I don't know if Hindu is a religion or a culture, to me and most non-Hindus it seems like a religion. To me a culture would be Marathi, Tamil, Bengali etc whereas Hinduism/Dharma is a religion. A culture consist of the language you speak, your cuisine, your customs, traditions, attire, social norms etc that varies a lot across India. Religion is about God(s), life after death, etc In my comparative religions class I had a teacher that was an East Asian Lady that was a Jain and even described Hinduism as a religion and she had no bias.

Last edited:
Apr 2019
India
Lol well most of us don't speak Sanskrit, if you ever step out of India you'll realize many can't pronounce words that exist in your language, it's like that with any language. I wouldn't call RSS irrelevant, they're very relevant and powerful right now, Modi is there and they've been behind most of the religious violence in India for the past 5 or more years or whenever certain parties are in power.
I don't know if Hindu is a religion or a culture, to me and most non-Hindus it seems like a religion. To me a culture would be Marathi, Tamil, Bengali etc whereas Hinduism/Dharma is a religion. A culture consist of the language you speak, your cuisine, your customs, traditions, attire, social norms etc that varies a lot across India. Religion is about God(s), life after death, etc In my comparative religions class I had a teacher that was an East Asian Lady that was a Jain and even described Hinduism as a religion and she had no bias.
I think English words can be equally complicated to pronounce for non-natives.
Anyway it was a light -hearted comment.

Please provide credible sources for determining violence perpetuated by RSS and meanwhile also consider anti-Hindu violence in the country. Maybe then we will progress towards condition of different religious and ethnic groups in your country.

Dharama doesn't mean religion !

I said there are 'no distinguishable boundries' between 'religion' and 'culture' in India. I didn't say there is no 'religion' at all.

Jainism is a different 'religion'.

Hinduism doesn't have fixed beliefs about God and after-life. Different schools hold different views and scholars keep updating their knowledge.
Hinduism or more precisely Indian civilization never thought of establishing superiority of 'one true God' and 'one true book' by the orders of 'one true prophet'. Hinduism doesn't have founding father. It's more like 'religion' of mobs.
But it was in the quest of dharama for leading a good life and for maintaining social & spiritual discipline.

So does Hinduism fit your definition of 'religion'?

Aug 2019
Bengaluru, India/Sharjah, UAE
There's actually a pretty large Deccani Muslim community in Karachi and Hyderabad, Sindh.
Don't call the Nizam people se Deccanis they are nothing but Hyderabadi. A few of them states backed. A lot of them were forced to go to pakistan after operation polo. Regardless it's all Mughal vassal state people.

The real Deccanis are the qutb shahi. Aurangzeb and the Nizam's force literally chopped off heads of these Deccanis and played a kinda football if you will as their emotions to them put it.

Just mixing too much with the hindus you see. They even translated the kama sutra you can google it up.

So yeah there is a difference.

Hyderabadis of Nizam are not Deccanis and the easiest way to know is that they speak pure Urdu and don't approve of local Deccani spoken vernacular

Aug 2019
Most of the Muslims that migrated to Pakistan were either urban Muslims or from the landed elite, I remember reading articles about partition that Indian Muslims lost a lot of their middle class and landed gentry following partition. Also if you look at Punjab, pretty much all the Muslims in East Punjab ended up migrating to Pakistan.
My family is of noblemen from the Mysore, Arcot and other such kingdoms. So specify that it's the north indian Muslims only

Aug 2019
A lot of Muslims from India migrated in the 60s as well, I believe migration was stopped after the '65 war for security reasons but even after that many people from East Pakistan migrated during and soon after the war in 1971. There are also over 40,000 Kashmiri refugees in Pakistan since the 90s. As for native Pakistanis seeing muhajirs as a culturally or racially different people couldn't be further from the truth, unfortunately a lot of people on the internet like to speak in generalities with no substance. I could tell you what the actual situation is like today but going off the post history of some members on here, people are too dogmatic about their opinions.
I have lived among these peoples they are only concerned for Pakistan when it's related to India. Otherwise they don't care. And they revert to hindi and other languages so easy over Urdu it's amazing how quick they spit on their paki identities

Aug 2019
:lol: dude your information is so outdated. Do you happen to be in your 40s or 50s? You're thinking about the Karachi of the 80s and 90s, a period many of us weren't alive for the majority of it. The deep ethnic "divides" are highly exaggerated, they only exist in hardline politicians who exploit identity politics or what Indians call "votebank politics" and the previous election ended as ethnocentric political parties lost pretty badly. In any multiethnic country you'll find periods of violence and discord between different ethnicities, especially in India so acting like its any better in this regard is a joke. The military and govt of Pakistan has really made Karachi safer, it's not the same city it was 10 years ago let alone 20 or 30 years ago. Most of the gangs, mafias, and militant groups in the city have been destroyed.

Lol we all know napakis put up a show for foreigners let them treat Bangladesh tourists the same

Aug 2019
It seems people just wanna fight here and ignore an actual Indian Muslim's statement.

I guess voice unheard is the way for Muslims in general especially in a hindian north indian dominated scene.

I feel so bad right now. You ask question related to me and people who fall in this category and yet you ignore the answer.

Well here's my answer short

I am Deccani. Deccanis are sworn enemies of mughals since time immemorial. Yes Muslims against Muslims since centuries existed in India. Google and believe it. End of story!

Status
Closed