Why did most of India's Muslims not emigrate following Partition?

Status
Closed
Aug 2019
Bengaluru, India/Sharjah, UAE
It's true though. Most of lower-middle class muslims were culturally Hindus. Their clerics were moderate. Many Hindu kids used to get their primary education in Madarsas. Maulavis did not try to proselytize/influence those kids. Only rich and powerful muslims who considered themselves belonging to Persian or Turks aristocracy were inmical towards natives.
Arabaisation of India is fairly new phenomenon. In my town a few Muslims still pay respect to local deities while we have lost many to Wahabism.
Yes I do agree. I'm one of the ashrafi muslim aka non hindu descendant. In our culture we do look down upon converted Muslims and low caste hindus. We don't look down upon high caste hindus though.

I guess it's a nobles or darbari culture.

Those who aren't enlightened tend to follow hypocrisy and corrupted practices and ashrafis dislike that.

I must mention that I'm a Deccani and not a Mughal they were our enemies. My ancestors rebelled from Dehli Sultanat and were first to adopt Hindavi instead of Persian as offical.

So the very idea of a partition would mean loss of identity for Deccanis which is simply not acceptable at all. No matter where we go we retain that indianess. But obviously Pakistan being Mughal successor state was one place we definitely would not go.

The entire land of pure bullshit is too much for us. We are a grounded culture living in reality not trying to be angels.

Emotions best expressed by this video below.

It's simply would make us angry that you'd consider Deccanis with questions like why didn't you go to filthy Pakistan without knowing the basic history.

Jehangir called our people crows and kites. Crows for dravidians and kites for marathas. But we Turks believe in the eating of salt namak khaya phrase. Go ask Mehmood. He did represent us well in bollywood.

Aug 2019
United States
Yes I do agree. I'm one of the ashrafi muslim aka non hindu descendant. In our culture we do look down upon converted Muslims and low caste hindus. We don't look down upon high caste hindus though.

I guess it's a nobles or darbari culture.

Those who aren't enlightened tend to follow hypocrisy and corrupted practices and ashrafis dislike that.

I must mention that I'm a Deccani and not a Mughal they were our enemies. My ancestors rebelled from Dehli Sultanat and were first to adopt Hindavi instead of Persian as offical.

So the very idea of a partition would mean loss of identity for Deccanis which is simply not acceptable at all. No matter where we go we retain that indianess. But obviously Pakistan being Mughal successor state was one place we definitely would not go.

The entire land of pure bullshit is too much for us. We are a grounded culture living in reality not trying to be angels.

Emotions best expressed by this video below.

It's simply would make us angry that you'd consider Deccanis with questions like why didn't you go to filthy Pakistan without knowing the basic history.

Jehangir called our people crows and kites. Crows for dravidians and kites for marathas. But we Turks believe in the eating of salt namak khaya phrase. Go ask Mehmood. He did represent us well in bollywood.

There's actually a pretty large Deccani Muslim community in Karachi and Hyderabad, Sindh.

Aug 2019
United States
Most of the Muslims that migrated to Pakistan were either urban Muslims or from the landed elite, I remember reading articles about partition that Indian Muslims lost a lot of their middle class and landed gentry following partition. Also if you look at Punjab, pretty much all the Muslims in East Punjab ended up migrating to Pakistan.

Aug 2019
United States
While in India, Hindus won't mind migration of Hindus an dSikhs from Pakistan and Bangladesh, Pakistanis on the other hand won't like Indian Muslims migrating to Pakistan, if I am not wrong it was permanently stopped in 1955 by Pakistan. Most of the Pakistanis see North Indian origin Muslims as foreigners and culturally and racially a different people.
A lot of Muslims from India migrated in the 60s as well, I believe migration was stopped after the '65 war for security reasons but even after that many people from East Pakistan migrated during and soon after the war in 1971. There are also over 40,000 Kashmiri refugees in Pakistan since the 90s. As for native Pakistanis seeing muhajirs as a culturally or racially different people couldn't be further from the truth, unfortunately a lot of people on the internet like to speak in generalities with no substance. I could tell you what the actual situation is like today but going off the post history of some members on here, people are too dogmatic about their opinions.

Aug 2019
United States
Because no one wants to be a non Muslim in a Muslim majority state. It’s going to be at best highly discriminatory at worst deadly.
But being Muslim in a majority non Muslim state is decidedly safer.
Well that wasn't the question of the thread and there are numerous factors why proportionally more hindus migrated to India than Muslims to Pakistan.

Jul 2012
Dhaka
Because no one wants to be a non Muslim in a Muslim majority state. It’s going to be at best highly discriminatory at worst deadly.
But being Muslim in a majority non Muslim state is decidedly safer.
You shouldn't blurt out your 'opinions' on matters that you have no idea about except stereotypes fed by media.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
A lot of Muslims from India migrated in the 60s as well, I believe migration was stopped after the '65 war for security reasons but even after that many people from East Pakistan migrated during and soon after the war in 1971. There are also over 40,000 Kashmiri refugees in Pakistan since the 90s. As for native Pakistanis seeing muhajirs as a culturally or racially different people couldn't be further from the truth, unfortunately a lot of people on the internet like to speak in generalities with no substance. I could tell you what the actual situation is like today but going off the post history of some members on here, people are too dogmatic about their opinions.
That is over simplified statement from your side. The rise of Muhajir sub nationalism and susequent bloodbath in Karachi is the outcome of these things. In 1990s,when attempt were made settle Bihari Muhajirs from Bangladesh in Pakistan, Sindhis and Seraikis resented a lot against it, a bomb attack was made on Bihari Muhajirs.

Aug 2019
United States
That is over simplified statement from your side. The rise of Muhajir sub nationalism and susequent bloodbath in Karachi is the outcome of these things. In 1990s,when attempt were made settle Bihari Muhajirs from Bangladesh in Pakistan, Sindhis and Seraikis resented a lot against it, a bomb attack was made on Bihari Muhajirs.
Yes and that was the 90s, it's 2019 now. I don't see how the Bangladesh-Bihari situation is relevant to the mohajir community in Pakistan. You made a very broad generalization that some communities in Pakistan looked down/hated another community. Like I said in another thread, a lot of people on here tend to speak in generalities about south asian history and politics especially in regards to Pakistan.
While I appreciate your interest and textbook knowledge of Pakistan, I think it's important to give higher credence to information given by somebody originally from the country.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Yes and that was the 90s, it's 2019 now. I don't see how the Bangladesh-Bihari situation is relevant to the mohajir community in Pakistan. You made a very broad generalization that some communities in Pakistan looked down/hated another community. Like I said in another thread, a lot of people on here tend to speak in generalities about south asian history and politics especially in regards to Pakistan.
While I appreciate your interest and textbook knowledge of Pakistan, I think it's important to give higher credence to information given by somebody originally from the country.
Seems partition related migration totally disturbed the social framework of Sindh and Karachi in particular.

Sindhis never liked their cities overrun by migrants from India, so it could be understandable Biharis are not welcome in Pakistan.

Status
Closed