Why did much less immigrants historically settle in the Southern US than in other parts of the US?

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Nothing, other than the Euro-Americans were minorities at one time or another in each of them.

Some of my ancestors swam illegally across the Red and Sabine rivers to enter the Mexican entity of Texas. Were they called 'dixiebacks'?

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I would consider them confused. There were a number of fords along both rivers. The El Camino Real crossed the Sabine and there were trade roads from Natchitoches to Nacogdoches. There were a number of mixed breed people who settled the East side of the Sabine River in the old Sabine Strip. Living on the Sabine River made it easy to avoid American and Hispanic Law Enforcement.

Pruitt

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Who were confused: dixiebacks, mixed breed people, American, Mexican?

Some of the river crossings were traversed by ferry, and some illegals swam rather than paid.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Anyone that swims across the Red and Sabine River when they can wade across a ford is what I call confused. They still have people drown in the Sabine River each year. That and they have alligators in both rivers... Before the ferries were built, people used a ford to cross. There was one on the Sabine, North of Starks. I believe it was called Alligator Park.

Lots of places on the Rio Grande River can be swam or waded across. It gets deeper as it come to the Gulf of Mexico. The river I lived close to for most of my life, the Calcasieu, would be a major river in West Texas. I remember crossing the Pecos and seeing the trees were not on the river bank, but in the river bed!

Back even a hundred years ago the Mexicans could cross the Rio on road bridges without papers. I don't see any of them swimming across. There were no illegals back then either.

By the way, some of your ancestors would have been considered illegals in Tejas because Mexican Law only allowed Catholics to enter and get land. Jim Bowie even claimed he was Catholic, although he was raised in Kentucky and moved to Louisiana as a young man.

Pruitt

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Pruitt, I explained to you why they swam. They did not want to pay the ferry. I also have lived in Joaquin on the west bank, and you have no idea about the Sabine's depth, its sweep, and its width. A ford is only good when a horse or animal-drawn wagon cross it. The river can be up for weeks on end. The Red is incredibly mercurial. Please think.

Addendum: Please slow down, read, and think. Of course, some of my ancestors were illegals, and I acknowledged that, writing "Some of my ancestors swam illegally [bold and pitch added] across the Red and Sabine rivers to enter the Mexican entity of Texas."