Why did Pan-Iranism never catch on?

Aug 2015
Slovenia
So, Kazakhs and Kyrgyz are descended from Mongols?
Kazakhs were constituted after Mongol conquests, in 15th or 16th century. I was told that some children have blue eyes while they have Mongolian facial features. In my opinion Mongols slaughtered most of men with Scythian-Sarmatian ancestry there. Semirechye was center of khanates before Mongols and there is today's center of Kazakh senior juz, the most important of three subhordes.

Check Qara - Khitai.

Aug 2015
Slovenia
The German Empire never annexed Austria and Russia is no longer a part of the same country as Ukraine and Belarus are, though.
Austria was too strong but German empire annexed all smaller German states of former Holy Roman empire, tens of them and some were 500 and more years old (Bavaria for example was 1000 years old). Russia is got big Belarus and Ukrainian communities and exercises it's power all around with an exception of three Baltic states.

Last edited:
May 2014
SoCal
Austria was too strong but German empire annexed all smaller German states of former Holy Roman empire, tens of them and some were 500 and more years old (Bavaria for example was 1000 years old).
Yes, but Hitler finished the job by annexing Austria and the Sudetenland.

Russia is got big Belarus and Ukrainian communities and exercises it's power all around with exception of three Baltic states.
Russian influence in Ukraine nowadays is pretty close to zero, no?

Aug 2015
Slovenia
Yes, but Hitler finished the job by annexing Austria and the Sudetenland.

Russian influence in Ukraine nowadays is pretty close to zero, no?
Hitler's was of short breath while empire's annexations remained until today.

Ruling Ukrainian elite hates Russia but Russia is got big minority in Ukraine and enormous cultural influence. Ukraine will never get Crimea back, there is no power in world to achieve that. Not in a hundred years. Same as imagining free Tibet.

Only what can happen in near future is annexation of north Kazakhstan after Nazarbayev will go from power and if some incompetent will get in his shoes. It can happen in autocracies. The best for such purposes are stupid nationalists and voila- tens of thousands of soldiers with no insignia guarding all crucial points and covering a referendum of local population. Half of million of km2s or so.

May 2014
SoCal
Hitler's was of short breath while empire's annexations remained until today.
Fair point.

Ruling Ukrainian elite hates Russia but Russia is got big minority in Ukraine and enormous cultural influence.
The size of the Russian minority in Ukraine significantly shrunk as a result of the loss of Crimea and the Donbass, though.

Ukraine will never get Crimea back, there is no power in world to achieve that. Not in a hundred years. Same as imagining free Tibet.
Agreed. Also, Russia's terms for agreeing to give the Donbass back to Ukraine would probably be unacceptable for Ukrainians.

Only what can happen in near future is annexation of north Kazakhstan after Nazarbayev will go from power and if some incompetent will get in his shoes. It can happen in autocracies. The best for such purposes are stupid nationalists and voila- tens of thousands of soldiers with no insignia guarding all crucial points and covering a referendum of local population. Half of million of km2s or so.
Sure, this could happen. However, please keep in mind that I think that Kazakhs--even Kazakh nationalists--are going to be smart enough to realize that time is on their side and are thus going to refrain from making any crazy moves. Plus, it certainly helps that eventual EU membership isn't available to Kazakhstan for logistical reasons.

Aug 2015
Slovenia
Fair point.

The size of the Russian minority in Ukraine significantly shrunk as a result of the loss of Crimea and the Donbass, though.

Agreed. Also, Russia's terms for agreeing to give the Donbass back to Ukraine would probably be unacceptable for Ukrainians.

Sure, this could happen. However, please keep in mind that I think that Kazakhs--even Kazakh nationalists--are going to be smart enough to realize that time is on their side and are thus going to refrain from making any crazy moves. Plus, it certainly helps that eventual EU membership isn't available to Kazakhstan for logistical reasons.
I suppose that both Donbass republics will be eventually returned to Ukraine (Donetsk and Lugansk- Is Lugansk from Lugii?). They have also to return Abkhasia, Southern Ossetia and Transnistria. Nagorno Karabakh? No idea.

May 2014
SoCal
I suppose that both Donbass republics will be eventually returned to Ukraine (Donetsk and Lugansk- Is Lugansk from Lugii?). They have also to return Abkhasia, Southern Ossetia and Transnistria. Nagorno Karabakh? No idea.
To be honest, I don't see Russia actually being willing to return any of these territories unless it will get something extremely big in return. Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, and Azerbaijan would all probably prefer to be crippled than to return to the Russian prison.

May 2014
SoCal
LOL. You don't know MRP? Even from looking at the pic? It is a most distinguished face. You must be a rather young Historumer then.:cool:

Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, Shah-en-Shah (i. e. King of Kings), Aryamehr (i. e. Light of the Aryans), former Shah of Iran.
I know who he was, but I didn't know what these initials stood for. Basically, I didn't understand that MRP = Pahlavi.

Similar History Discussions