Why did Rommel commit suicide?

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
He was caught in a plot to kill Hitler, you might recall a certain bomb in a briefcase, and was given the choice to commit suicide and keep his honor or to be stripped of his honor, his family killed, and then killed by the government anyway.

Jul 2006
Hellas
CelticBard said:
He was caught in a plot to kill Hitler, you might recall a certain bomb in a briefcase, and was given the choice to commit suicide and keep his honor or to be stripped of his honor, his family killed, and then killed by the government anyway.
True !
A bad end for a great General from an idiotish goverment.

Jul 2006
Bristol, England
i thought he wasnt exactly involved?
i know some chap come to see him about it but rommel never really did anything about it or announced that he agreed. rommel was named by one of the conspirators and was told he could either take poison and have a soldiers funeral or face a degrading court marshall.

theres a film called 'the desert fox' which has a pretty good telling of the end of rommels life. the last scene is quite moving as he looks up at his wife and says 'goodbye darling' before getting in the car.

Jul 2006
Hellas
MrStoff1989 said:
It's very hard for Rommel to do such things and be accused of such things, because it has never been proven that he acually did it, has it?
In a Nazi goverment even to be suspect is guildy, it's an example of the total nullification of human in the name of the "great idea".

Sep 2006
Hellas-Greece
Nikd said:
In a Nazi goverment even to be suspect is guildy, it's an example of the total nullification of human in the name of the "great idea".
Grrrrr I hate it when I hear such "opinions"

Rommel was one of Hitler's favoured but many were jealeous about him. Though his name became legendary and that was feared by all who wanted succession to the German Empire. So in order to do such a vile act - to murder Hitler - they wanted Rommel's name so that the Germans would think it as a tolerable act.
During the wars before the Allies invasion of Europe Rommel had taken many initiatives of his own. Everybody knew he was to self-opinioned to follow every order. He was a renegade with good "side effects".
During the invasion of Europe Rommel tried to advise Hitler several times but Hitler did not want to be advised.
Hitler (quite reasonably) came to believe that Rommel was indeed behind this. He gave him the option that gave no other "traitor". To commit suicide. And this because he had served his country really well.

Similar History Discussions