Why did Russia always lose so many man in war and why did their morale never break?

Nov 2015
Kyiv
When I studied russian (many years ago" Pederast meant Homosexual...and yes, I agree with You. Our dear Aggination maybe can´t believe.. but yes.. Russian crying... I am a witnessed about that... by the way... I remember a party in Georgia near Russian border... with few Georgian officers drinking Vodka into a horn... dear Gvelion... I give faith and certify i never saw nobody drink more Vodka than those Georgian officers! ( I didn´t drink much... I "invented" I was stomach-ill)..
Did the Georgians really drink vodka through the horn? I hear about this for the first time. It is difficult to imagine - despite the fact that I know the Georgians quite well. Did you want to say about Chacha - Georgian grape vodka? These are very strange Georgians. Through the horn they traditionally drink their semi-dry or semi-sweet wine with alcohol content no higher than 12% and they do it only in a special table contest, which can be seen far from meal with alcohol. Imagine that Georgians drink vodka through a horn is as difficult for me as imagining that the Russians drink vodka directly from their samovars

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I read that only the Caucasians ppl including Armenians, Azeris and Georgians are called by some dummkopfen chernozhopi translation black asses, pardon my language. Africans are pretty rare sight in this country to have positive/negative attitude towards them, but i guess one can find idiots everywhere. The distance bettween African continent and RF is pretty big so Africans in Russia are mainly students, smart, intelligent and rich opposed to the illiterate lower social class guys who try to reach sunny Italy and Spain at the very moment.

Last edited:

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
I would disagree that the morale never broke. It did, after WWII, or rather, the attitude to losing men has changed.

There is a Russian phrase, and I don't know when and how it was coined, but I suspect, in the time of the serfdom.

The phrase itself, "women will give birth to more soldiers" has been assigned to Menshikov, to Count Sheremetyev, to a navy captain during Russo-Japanese war, to Bydyonny, to Vorhsilov, to Zhukov.

I think it indeed belongs to old times because truly, with the serf women belonging to their masters body and soul, you could repopulate the village, even if you lost the men from it.

And I think, the attitude prevailed till post-WWII. WWII depleted menfolk, so for the Soviet women, raising three or more kids, and working in kolkhozes was deadly toil. There are stories so movingly told by the Soviet writers called "derevenshiki" ("the villagers" - those writing about Soviet villages).

However, those women, the war widows, started teaching their daughters something very different, "don't have more than one/two kids, that many you will raise".

And looking at the families of all my friends, most had one or two kids.

In short, the attitude had changed. All this "fight for peace" that Brezhnev and Co led had the reason. Those old party leaders, maybe not the smartest peas in the pod, had one common denominator, they went through WWII and were determined to avoid any future wars. This is the main reason why Khruchev, who nearly dragged the country into military confrontation with the US, was so despised in the USSR.

Afghanistan, of course, was a costly mistake but also a big miscalculation. I bet no one would have made the decision to invade that country if they knew the death toll it would take on the Soviet soldiers.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Did the Georgians really drink vodka through the horn? I hear about this for the first time. It is difficult to imagine - despite the fact that I know the Georgians quite well. Did you want to say about Chacha - Georgian grape vodka? These are very strange Georgians. Through the horn they traditionally drink their semi-dry or semi-sweet wine with alcohol content no higher than 12% and they do it only in a special table contest, which can be seen far from meal with alcohol. Imagine that Georgians drink vodka through a horn is as difficult for me as imagining that the Russians drink vodka directly from their samovars
Yes, it was in 1999. I remember they were officers (and it was a great party.. Foods, drinks... and vodka)... they drunk in a empty horn. If I find photos (slideshows) i put... I remember as today... officers.. soldiers (they didn´t drink). I remember one week before, Russian helicopters have attacked Chechenyan rebels near the border).

Yes, they drunk on a horn... something as this one (but it is not this, of course)

Sep 2016
Georgia
I read that only the Caucasians ppl including Armenians, Azeris and Georgians are called by some dummkopfen chernozhopi translation black asses, pardon my language. Africans are pretty rare sight in this country to have positive/negative attitude towards them, but i guess one can find idiots everywhere. The distance bettween African continent and RF is pretty big so Africans in Russia are mainly students, smart, intelligent and rich opposed to the illiterate lower social class guys who try to reach sunny Italy and Spain at the very moment.
You underestimate how many of them had or have this kind of attitude towards black people or Asians. If blacks were as many in Russia now as Caucasian or people from Central Asia, trust me you would see a lot of bad stuff happening. They used and use that term for blacks as well and sometimes call them monkeys. There is word ,, негры '' , but often instead of that just call them niggers. Thing is, average Russians have such rare contacts with Black population and so no one really met person who got offended by their conduct. Because of that many freely use such words and attitudes amongst themselves, since nobody can call them out and thus no repercussions.

Sep 2016
Georgia
I've seen some people of my age doing that. Never seen it with older generation. Well, vodka now is popular amongst my generation and often used instead of wine during party/ქეიფი .

Maribat

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
I've seen some people of my age doing that. Never seen it with older generation. Well, vodka now is popular amongst my generation and often used instead of wine during party/ქეიფი .
As for me I don't drink nothing stronger than beer but... I have seen people not swallowing but pouring vodka down the throat

and the world record...

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I am going to die after the first bottle, hehe. Now this is real muzik. EDIT: Thinking about booze. During the great war before an attack alcohol was given to the troops by their commanding officers to raise their spirits. During the second one both allied & axis soldiers were always looking for a drink. war.

Last edited: