Why did Russia always lose so many man in war and why did their morale never break?

Jul 2016
USA
Despite all the talk about toughness, Russians can also be very big ,, cry-babies ''. They love to talk constantly about ,, Russophobia '' that was always in the West throughout history as they say and love to put the blame of their misfortunes on others and that such bad situations occurred in country, solely because of foreign influences. Now views about Anglo-Saxon conspiracies and hate of Russia become more and more popular. There is even famous historian in Russia - Starikov, who in his books tries to prove tha many misfortunes of Russia occurred because of English or Americans. Also many Russians don't understand that there were some nations that had it worse than them throughout history.

Also, a lot of Russians are racist. Now, few would actually say racist things in your face on the street, but behind your back and amongst each other they surely like to call names, make fun of those people and badmouth them. Many Russians use word ,,Черножопые '' to describe black population.

More and more Russians now also use word ,, либераст '' or ,, гейропейцы '' to describe Europeans. Liberal + Pederast = Liberast and Gay + Europe = Gayropeans.

Majority of Russians won't change their attitude towards Crimea, Ukraine and Europe, even if Putin and his friends die next morning. Don't be naïve about that. It's not evil Putin who brainwashed poor Russians. Majority of them legitimately approve his foreign policies and some even want more.
So Russians are cry babies because they don't like and make fun of outsiders? That's like diagnosing bullies as wimps because they keep beating up other children. Cry babies means a person, especially a child, who sheds tears frequently or readily, its not synonym for someone who acts like an aggressive jerk. if your'e going to use hyperbole, use it properly.

Jul 2016
USA
Russian army in 1996

Dedovshchina, Rule of the Grandfathers. One of the greatest force multipliers that NATO would have had in a potential WW3 situation during the Cold War was the widespread torture of lower enlisted by slightly more senior junior enlisted, leading to non-existent espirit de corps and comraderie/cohesion.

Started with the dissolution of the WW2 Red Army NCO corps in the 1950s and the standardized enlisted service period of two year conscription in the 60s, with every unit filled with batches of new soldiers every six months, where the more senior soldiers in their last two six month periods hazing/bullying/torturing those in their two six month cycles, with officers letting them get away with it because of claim of tradition and because they thought it was good for enforcing unit discipline (whoops, bad call there).

A main cause of the collapse of the Soviet and then Russian conscription system and poor recruitment talent (national draft dodging was at all time high since the 70s), leading to poor military performance, made famous after the idiots filmed themselves terrorizing soldiers once video became more commonplace, and post USSR free press who'd discuss it openly angering Russian citizens, ultimately leading to reforms in the 90s to cut down on the abuse and the massive 2008 Russian reforms after the debacle in Georgia, which created a professional soldier class of contract volunteers, formal NCO schooling, etc.

Sep 2016
Georgia
So Russians are cry babies because they don't like and make fun of outsiders? That's like diagnosing bullies as wimps because they keep beating up other children. Cry babies means a person, especially a child, who sheds tears frequently or readily, its not synonym for someone who acts like an aggressive jerk. if your'e going to use hyperbole, use it properly.
You clearly didn't read my post properly. Here it again : They love to talk constantly about ,, Russophobia '' that was always in the West throughout history as they say and love to put the blame of their misfortunes on others and that such bad situations occurred in country, solely because of foreign influences. Now views about Anglo-Saxon conspiracies and hate of Russia become more and more popular. There is even famous historian in Russia - Starikov, who in his books tries to prove tha many misfortunes of Russia occurred because of English or Americans. Also many Russians don't understand that there were some nations that had it worse than them throughout history.

So yeah. They love to shed tears about how they were always hated by others, oppressed and West always in history trying to completely destroy them.

Also, I lived and grew in Russia for 14 years. So I know what I am talking about. If you want, we can talk in Russian. Since you love them so much. Можем поговорить об истории, их культуре. Может, нынешнюю политическую ситуацию обсудим ? Что вы думаете насчёт пенсионной реформы ?

И да, все в России и в пост-советских странах тоже знают, что это дедовщина. Помню какие скандалы были вокруг это.

Last edited:
Jul 2016
USA
You clearly didn't read my post properly. Here it again : They love to talk constantly about ,, Russophobia '' that was always in the West throughout history as they say and love to put the blame of their misfortunes on others and that such bad situations occurred in country, solely because of foreign influences. Now views about Anglo-Saxon conspiracies and hate of Russia become more and more popular. There is even famous historian in Russia - Starikov, who in his books tries to prove tha many misfortunes of Russia occurred because of English or Americans. Also many Russians don't understand that there were some nations that had it worse than them throughout history.

So yeah. They love to shed tears about how they were always hated by others, oppressed and West always in history trying to completely destroy them.

Also, I lived and grew in Russia for 14 years. So I know what I am talking about. If you want, we can talk in Russian. Since you love them so much. Можем поговорить об истории, их культуре. Может, нынешнюю политическую ситуацию обсудим ? Что вы думаете насчёт пенсионной реформы ?

И да, все в России и в пост-советских странах тоже знают, что это дедовщина. Помню какие скандалы были вокруг это.
That isn't cry baby behavior. A baby cries and does nothing else because a baby is helpless. An adult cries and acts like a helpless baby, who can do nothing but cry, they are cry babies. Russians acting like nationalistic jerks, racist jerks, etc is not indicative of cry baby behavior just because you don't understand what a metaphor is.

I don't love Russians at all, the fact that you think I do just shows how ridiculously biased you are. I also didn't join a history website with the single purpose of crapping on a single country because they are my country's historical enemies. I have been on Historum for years and if there is anything I hate more its Eastern Europeans turning it into a nationalistic pissing match because they hate one another. What I am is just somebody tired of you people ruining thread after thread because all of you are too interested in fighting online.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
There is lots of ethnic animosity among post-soviet ppl. They dont like each other very much and all hate in the guts the biggest ethnic group there. It reminds me of the balkans after the withdrawal of the ottomans / another huge multiethnic empire. Two balkan wars and a quote from Bismark 'European war would come out of some damned foolish thing in the balkans'. Hopefully they are not going to be the reason for the third great war.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Seattle
Yes, it was in 1999. I remember they were officers (and it was a great party.. Foods, drinks... and vodka)... they drunk in a empty horn. If I find photos (slideshows) i put... I remember as today... officers.. soldiers (they didn´t drink). I remember one week before, Russian helicopters have attacked Chechenyan rebels near the border).

Yes, they drunk on a horn... something as this one (but it is not this, of course)

This is an Icelandic horn, 1500 AD. In Dresden now.

I wonder if it was used for the same purposes?

Attachments

Dec 2014
Spain
This is an Icelandic horn, 1500 AD. In Dresden now.

I wonder if it was used for the same purposes?

Well.... I´ve been a former "wife" (never married) from Iceland... I still remember the rotten shark (awful... and I´ve eaten everything from ants to grasshopper in Africa or a kind of "funny" egg in Asia... but nothing as awful as the rotten shark) and the "Black Death"... by other side.. Iceland is a very beautiful island. And I never saw a horn....:crying::crying:

Nov 2015
Kyiv
That isn't cry baby behavior. A baby cries and does nothing else because a baby is helpless. An adult cries and acts like a helpless baby, who can do nothing but cry, they are cry babies. Russians acting like nationalistic jerks, racist jerks, etc is not indicative of cry baby behavior just because you don't understand what a metaphor is.

I don't love Russians at all, the fact that you think I do just shows how ridiculously biased you are. I also didn't join a history website with the single purpose of crapping on a single country because they are my country's historical enemies. I have been on Historum for years and if there is anything I hate more its Eastern Europeans turning it into a nationalistic pissing match because they hate one another. What I am is just somebody tired of you people ruining thread after thread because all of you are too interested in fighting online.
I think you say the wrong things. Eastern Europeans do not hate each other at all. Between the peoples and countries of Eastern Europe are quite normal and tolerant relations. And in this picture there is only one unpleasant exception.

A lot of Eastern Europeans have big claims against only one Eastern European country. Russia. And there is only one reason - her imperial expansion and her great-power rage, from which she is not even going to recover. Russia has been moving its tanks to neighboring countries for years, and there are quite a few speakers in the West who consider as some pathologies all bad relation of these neighbors to Russia, to her arrogance and aggression - as good as to her people, which fully supports both its aggression and all its imperial habits

In the 20th century, Russia exterminated much more Slavs - if we talk about civilians - than any other country in the world. Pleas understand that. Russia exterminated exterminated lots of Slavs, others were driven into her state slavery, and others were forced to live by her wry standards. And she is obviousely trying to continue this trend at the time.

And I don’t see that at least 95% of Russians regret or repentance the bad things their country has done. And this is an obvious signal that Russia is ready to continue to do these bad things. And she has already begun to do some bad things again.

Start your love and hate story for Eastern Europe with this simple fact - and your views on the events in it will come into some kind of system. In the meantime, as far as I can see, you voluntarily or involuntarily echo the favorite Russian idea that the whole world is engulfed in pathological Russophobia — and her idea that there are no objective reasons in Russia for it

Last edited:
Nov 2015
Kyiv
I think the Russians in their current version are much more similar not to cry babies, but to completely complexed teenagers. Suffering from the idea that the outside world is scolding them and underestimating them, they are struggling to assert themselves right here and now. And the best thing in their old tradition was to assert themselves by waving their fists.

Perhaps you know the traditional Russian fun - big Sunday fights in a village or a small town? I don’t know if it was instead of visiting the Sunday service in the church or after it - but in thousands of Russian villages and small towns such fights between men in Russian settlements were a favorite affair and took place literally every week in old time.

The national inferiority complex is what is now covered by Russia. And this is something that the Russian authorities are intensively developing among their people. Russia is extremely jealous of what is being said and thought about her in the outside world. Moreover, its authorities constantly supply their citizens with information that the whole world hates Russia.

And as a manifestation of the national inferiority complex - Russian aggressiveness. The principal difference from Western expansion is that Western expansion usually had economic motives. And Russian expansion quite often not only has no economic or practical motives - but also causes heavy damage to the Russian economy, finances and the standard of living of the Russians.

All this has another diagnosis among psychologists - infantilism. One of its manifestations is the complete unwillingness to think about the consequences of what the Russians are doing. They bomb the Syrian cities - and then they are very surprised that they are accused of killing peaceful Syrians. Their troops land in the Crimea and seize the Ukrainian peninsula - and then they are very surprised that the rest of the world does not want to recognize the Crimea as Russian. They carry centners of drugs in diplomatic baggage - and then they say that pathilogical Russophobes blame Russia for this.

The second manifestation of infantilism is the unwillingness of the Russians to answer for what they have done. And the constant attempt to blame anyone for their troubles, but not on themselves and their country.

It remains to add that Russia's aggressiveness is in fact already its long-standing tradition. If it were otherwise, her Emperor Nicholas I would not have written a textbook on geography for the cadets in the margins:

Russia is not an agricultural, industrial or commercial state, Russia is a military state and its purpose is to be a threat to the rest of the world.

Nov 2012
Seattle
Well.... I´ve been a former "wife" (never married) from Iceland... I still remember the rotten shark (awful... and I´ve eaten everything from ants to grasshopper in Africa or a kind of "funny" egg in Asia... but nothing as awful as the rotten shark) and the "Black Death"... by other side.. Iceland is a very beautiful island. And I never saw a horn....:crying::crying:
This horn is incredibly rare. I saw it in one of Dresden museums (don't remember if it was the Green Vault or some other museum downtown). The sign emphasized the rarity of it, too.
Sorry for the rotten shark :(