Why did Slovenia and Croatia want to secede from Yugoslavia instead of reforming Yugoslavia from within?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It was an option because remains of AH army would have easily disposed Serbian army in 1918 out of Slovenia and Croatia if people would have been for AH. It was an panslavic idea brewing for two or three generations before WWI behind.
So, the Pan-Slavic idea was popular in both Croatia and Slovenia in 1918?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
So, the Pan-Slavic idea was popular in both Croatia and Slovenia in 1918?
Yes, but probably a bit more so in Slovenia than Croatia, or it might just be my impression. It's funny that historically and especially currently Slovenes and Croats associate themselves with different Slavs.

Sep 2014
Texas
I don't think there was any wish among the Slovenian and Croatian leadership to do that. They simply wanted out.
As someone who has studied WW2 history, I know why Croatia wanted out. To be constantly reminded you murdered Millions of Serbs in such a proficient way you even impressed the Nazis. Serbia was our allie during WW2....I have always regretted what they did but I also understood it. The Croatians have never regretted their mass genocide.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
To be constantly reminded you murdered Millions of Serbs in such a proficient way you even impressed the Nazis.
Thing is...they were not even reminded all that much. New Yugoslavia was based on "brotherhood and unity" so the new authorities tried to equalize the crimes of the Ustashe with the Chetniks. Yugoslav Communist historiography was also full of accusatory remarks towards the Serbs, basically everything wrong with the Kingdom of Yugoslavia was blamed on the "Greater Serbian bourgeoisie (velikosrpska buržoazija)".

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Thing is...they were not even reminded all that much. New Yugoslavia was based on "brotherhood and unity" so the new authorities tried to equalize the crimes of the Ustashe with the Chetniks. Yugoslav Communist historiography was also full of accusatory remarks towards the Serbs, basically everything wrong with the Kingdom of Yugoslavia was blamed on the "Greater Serbian bourgeoisie (velikosrpska buržoazija)".
So, basically, the Yugoslav Communists had a similar attitude towards Serbian nationalism as the Soviet Communists had towards Russian nationalism (at least in the pre-Stalin era)?

Oct 2011
Croatia
Oh; OK. That makes more sense.

Anyway, though, why didn't Slovenia and Croatia try to reform Yugoslavia from within?
Because there was little and less possibility of doing that. Attempt was made to reform Croatia itself as well as Yugoslavia from within in 1970. (Hrvatsko Proljeće, Croatian Spring). After that attempt had failed, there was little hope of successful reformation. Especially after Milošević managed to plant his people on four out of eight key positions in SFRJ. Even in 1989./1990., there was serious talk about reforming Yugoslavia on Confederate pattern, but Milošević and his ilk rejected these proposals. In the end, unilateral secession was the only possible solution.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Do you think that, had Milosevic died before 1987, other Serbian politicians would have been more willing to compromise with the Croats and Slovenes?

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
As someone who has studied WW2 history, I know why Croatia wanted out. To be constantly reminded you murdered Millions of Serbs in such a proficient way you even impressed the Nazis. Serbia was our allie during WW2....I have always regretted what they did but I also understood it. The Croatians have never regretted their mass genocide.
Ustashe killed around 300k people: Serbs, Muslims, Jews and other Croats so please stop talking millions. You Texas cowboys also killed millions of Comanche and Apache and so what, you never showed a regret (just to be on par with level of absurdity to which I respond lol).

Communists killed more and also many of ustashe.