Why did Slovenia and Croatia want to secede from Yugoslavia instead of reforming Yugoslavia from within?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
What Slavs do they associate with?
Well, Croats aren't particularry tight with Russians, because Russians and Serbs supposedly stick together. Thus they're more naturally to do better with Poles, Czechs and such, who still hold a lot of remorse towards Russia. Slovenes on the other hand would like to be chums with the Russians, but it's not like a lot of Russians even know us plus we're in the EU, so we're not supposed to like the Russians. I think Slovenia holds no special ties to any other Slavic nation while some others are often seen as brothers (Czechs and Slovaks, Serbs and Montenegrins, Russians and Belarusians). But then again, I don't know if Croatia does either ... The sad truth is us Slavs, we often hate one another with passion.

Jul 2017
USA
What Slavs do they associate with?
Slovenes are the true Croats. Their neme "Slovenia" is a complete bull. It means nothing linguistically and it has no historical trace. It's a dumb invention.
They aimed at SlAvenia, as in YuogoslAvia, no YugoslOvia i SlOvenia. They are thus not accosiated with anyone and anything, they are just dumb fkrs and criminals, who are really Croats, who are also criminals.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Slovenes are the true Croats. Their neme "Slovenia" is a complete bull. It means nothing linguistically and it has no historical trace. It's a dumb invention.
They aimed at SlAvenia, as in YuogoslAvia, no YugoslOvia i SlOvenia. They are thus not accosiated with anyone and anything, they are just dumb fkrs and criminals, who are really Croats, who are also criminals.

This kind of language and crass generalisation is NOT acceptable and has no place here. If I see it again, you will be suspended. This is your only warning.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
Slovaks call themselves Slovenci (Sloventsi) as we call ourselves and us Slovinci (Slovintsi). Then there are Wends, you just put Slo in front. It looks as a central European line up from us to a Baltic sea. I think we are of mixed genetic stock, I don't know why we are speaking Slavic language and which elites were giving us this form and language. I'm pretty sure from what I've read that we are here for about as long as Basques, pretty much for ever or from Indoeuropean push thousands of years ago. Some more eastern Slavic blood was added later in 6th/7th century to an older people.

And we are pretty damn tough as a nation if we survived all German and Italian onslaughts of all kinds. Us and Czechs are Slavs most to the west and we were much more to west thousand years ago. Close to nothing remained of Slavs in East Germany, where are Veleti and Obotrites today?

Oct 2011
Croatia
Do you think that, had Milosevic died before 1987, other Serbian politicians would have been more willing to compromise with the Croats and Slovenes?
More willing, possibly, but I doubt it would have been enough. Second Yugoslavia was held together solely by Tito's own personality and accomplishments; once he died, the whole thing started to unravel. The only possibility I can think of for saving Yugoslavia that I am somewhat convinced would have worked would have been immediate reforms after Tito's death, giving more rights to republics and transformation into Confederacy, and all of that without zig-zagging.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Slovaks call themselves Slovenci (Sloventsi) as we call ourselves and us Slovinci (Slovintsi). Then there are Wends, you just put Slo in front. It looks as a central European line up from us to a Baltic sea. I think we are of mixed genetic stock, I don't know why we are speaking Slavic language and which elites were giving us this form and language. I'm pretty sure from what I've read that we are here for about as long as Basques, pretty much for ever or from Indoeuropean push thousands of years ago. Some more eastern Slavic blood was added later in 6th/7th century to an older people.

And we are pretty damn tough as a nation if we survived all German and Italian onslaughts of all kinds. Us and Czechs are Slavs most to the west and we were much more to west thousand years ago. Close to nothing remained of Slavs in East Germany, where are Veleti and Obotrites today?
Small correction, they call themselves Slovaci. But a Slovak woman is indeed Slovenka, and other words like slovensky, Slovensko, slovenčina originate from the same word as Slovenec, Slovenija, slovenski and slovenščina. Interestingly, the name for Moravian Slovakia in Czechia comes from the male form Slovak, thus it's called Slovácko and not Slovensko. Because of these similarities some members of the inteligencia among Austrian Slavs who supported the Panslavic idea called us Illyrian Slovenes to differentiate us from the Slovaks.

Lebakaschuben were also called Slovinci by some scholars and Kajkavians and certain other Croats used to call their language slovenski or slovinski.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India

Both names seems quite identical.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Well, Croats aren't particularry tight with Russians, because Russians and Serbs supposedly stick together. Thus they're more naturally to do better with Poles, Czechs and such, who still hold a lot of remorse towards Russia. Slovenes on the other hand would like to be chums with the Russians, but it's not like a lot of Russians even know us plus we're in the EU, so we're not supposed to like the Russians. I think Slovenia holds no special ties to any other Slavic nation while some others are often seen as brothers (Czechs and Slovaks, Serbs and Montenegrins, Russians and Belarusians). But then again, I don't know if Croatia does either ... The sad truth is us Slavs, we often hate one another with passion.
That part about Croats having affinity with Poles? I perceive that as rather one-sided.

Poles would prefer Hungarians to Croats as far as I ever heard. Czechs having an affinity to Croats seems more justified.

Regards from Iowa

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
That part about Croats having affinity with Poles? I perceive that as rather one-sided.

Poles would prefer Hungarians to Croats as far as I ever heard. Czechs having an affinity to Croats seems more justified.

Regards from Iowa
You are right. Poles deem Hungarians as much closer friends.