Why did the Hungarian leaders of 1919 establish the Slovak Republic

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Sándor Garbai was the only ethnic Hungarian in the Hungarian Soviet Republic. No wonder that the real name of the state was not Hungarian, but "Republic of Councils in Hungary" . Similar to the communist party, which was named officially as "Party of Communists from Hungary" instead of Hungarian Communist party. . They simply did not considered themselves as Hungarians, because - at the time - the vast majority of their represented social class: the factory workers the "proletariat" hadn't ethnic Hungarian roots in Budapest yet, and the ethnic Hungarians were only a minority in the newly founded party
You are right that the majority of their leadership were from minority background (some 70% of the people's comissars had Jewish background) and the population of the capital city itself had multiethnic roots, but I don't think this was the source of it, as they were already assimilated anyway. It was IMO ideological, Kun and co. were fanatical bolshevik revolutionaries, who genuinely believed in internationalism and opposed "bourgeois nationalism" of whatever color. Which was of course a big political mistake as it undermined their own regime's ability to rally enough people.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You are right that the majority of their leadership were from minority background (some 70% of the people's comissars had Jewish background) and the population of the capital city itself had multiethnic roots, but I don't think this was the source of it, as they were already assimilated anyway. It was IMO ideological, Kun and co. were fanatical bolshevik revolutionaries, who genuinely believed in internationalism and opposed "bourgeois nationalism" of whatever color. Which was of course a big political mistake as it undermined their own regime's ability to rally enough people.
Why would well-off Jews support a bunch of radical, anti-capitalist leftists, though? I could understand Russian Jews supporting Communism due to their recent history of oppression, but I thought that Jews had it relatively well in Austria-Hungary in the pre-WWI decades?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Why would well-off Jews support a bunch of radical, anti-capitalist leftists, though? I could understand Russian Jews supporting Communism due to their recent history of oppression, but I thought that Jews had it relatively well in Austria-Hungary in the pre-WWI decades?
I think it was not only in Hungary or Russia where Jews were overrepresented in their attraction to Communism, it may require a broader inquiry. There can be deeper causes behind it, I'm not entirely sure about all of its aspects, but I think we touched that issue too in one of your threads
If there is no Holocaust, how do the Jewish communities of Eastern Europe look like right now?

The super rich Jews of course weren't attracted to commies in general (not being suicidal), but the communists were mostly not from their circles, rather urban lower and middle class. Some had petite bourgeoisie background, children of small scale merchants or white collar workers and similar.. But to counter myself with an exception György Lukács - Wikipedia came from a wealthy family. :))