Why did WW2 Japan adopt a rimless, British .303?

Status
Closed
Aug 2016
US&A
What makes you think they hated the British? They were allies a few years beforehand.
For the same reasons they joined the axis. WW1 peace settlements.

Why does any military adopt a particular cartridge?

Yeah, I don’t get this either. They modeled the navy after the RN. Seems a weird reason to doubt the choice of cartridge. Why would they say “it fits every requirement but we really hate the British so choose another one”.
Because people don't like things associated with those they hate. If you wore a swastika to work, what would happen?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
For the same reasons they joined the axis. WW1 peace settlements.

Because people don't like things associated with those they hate. If you wore a swastika to work, what would happen?
No, they joined the Axis to further their strategic interests, not because they hated the British.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
You do understand how appallingly useless Japanese machine guns were. That's why I questioned the British design comment. As for the rest of your post. That's really not my wheelhouse so I would prefer others to engage in that part of the discussions.
I dont think you could ever call the Type 99 useless.

Type 11, definitely.

The problem for the Japanese was that they counted on aggressive attacks by infantry so they developed light, usually strip or magazine fed guns that could be fired and moved rapidly. They hadnt given a lot of thought to defensive volume of fire outside the heavy MGs.

Its not like they were any worse than the low capacity BARs and immobile M1917s the US army started the war with!

Aug 2016
US&A
That doesn't answer my question. You said I was taking your use of the term "hate" too literally.

So how did you mean it?
I think you know that, prior to ww2, the Japanese and British were no longer exactly friends. I am trying to determine your goals in continuing this line of discussion.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I think you know that, prior to ww2, the Japanese and British were no longer exactly friends. I am trying to determine your goals in continuing this line of discussion.
And I'm trying to determine why you think the Japanese "hated" the British. Not being friends is not hating.

If, in fact, you didn't mean that the Japanese hated the British, then why would they not copy British weapons.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the Japanese machine guns were fine , most were based on the Hotchkiss ,

as for the ammo type , they switched from the 6.5 mm to 7.7 mm jacketed to get better long range performance
the type 92 machine gun could use both the rimed and rimless
rimless ammo is more suitable for box magazine use and auto firing , there is less potential problems with jamming

why they didn't standardize is a bit of a mystery , the infantry weapons were rimless and that was the vast majority of the cartridges produced

I suspect it was the usual conflict between Army and Navy , they were in constant bitch-fight
the navy went for the rimmed version probably just to spite the army ,

Status
Closed