Why didn’t Asian civilization & culture spread to New Guinea & Australia?

Oct 2017
America ??
Wouldn’t it be cool if New Guineans were Asian influenced?
If they were it might even have enabled Asian civilization & cultures to spread more eastwards & southwards.
Asian civilization doesn’t appear to have spread further than the Celebes & Lombok.
New Guinea at least seems to be very accessible from the eastern part of the archipelago with the right advanced navigational skills. The Majapahit Empire appears to have managed to colonize the Vogelkop, but doesn’t seem to have left behind any significant structures or legacy so appears to have been a distant frontier to them.

Then again the archipelago of Indonesia was always a huge maze for peoples wasn’t it? That probably explains why New Guinea & Australia have always been very isolated.

Chinese civilization doesn’t appear to have explored nor done much with pacific & southeast Asian islands did they?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
As far as Indians are concerned, I would say that they lost steam, probably due to the disturbances back in India.
"Virarajendra Chola's son, Athirajendra Chola, was assassinated in a civil disturbance in 1070, and Kulothunga Chola I, the son of Ammanga Devi and Rajaraja Narendra (Eastern Chalukya), ascended the Chola throne. Thus began the Later Chola dynasty."
Chola dynasty - Wikipedia, Athirajendra Chola - Wikipedia

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Wouldn’t it be cool if New Guineans were Asian influenced?
If they were it might even have enabled Asian civilization & cultures to spread more eastwards & southwards.
Asian civilization doesn’t appear to have spread further than the Celebes & Lombok.
New Guinea at least seems to be very accessible from the eastern part of the archipelago with the right advanced navigational skills. The Majapahit Empire appears to have managed to colonize the Vogelkop, but doesn’t seem to have left behind any significant structures or legacy so appears to have been a distant frontier to them.

Then again the archipelago of Indonesia was always a huge maze for peoples wasn’t it? That probably explains why New Guinea & Australia have always been very isolated.

Chinese civilization doesn’t appear to have explored nor done much with pacific & southeast Asian islands did they?
There was nothing there that the Asian empires, China, Khmer, Vietnamese etc. and the various Indian states wanted badly enough to make the effort. Even the Chola, an Indian empire with extensive sea trading interests, may have visited NE Australia but found nothing there to exploit. It was later on that Macassan fishermen from what is now Indonesia began regular visits to northern Australia , but did not attempt permanent occupation.

Oct 2017
America ??
I was thinking of the Southeast Asian civilizations & states in particular, since they would be the closest wouldn’t they, though they were in turn primarily influenced by India weren’t they? India & China would have been too geographically far from eastern Indonesia to colonize directly wouldn’t they?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
None of that really matters . You have to imagine what travel and technology where like back then AND combine that with incentive - as a strong incentive can spark wonders in development .

What was the incentive to even land in Australia ? One has to be familiar with the terrain one would encounter on landing, in most places along the north of Australia, to realize there wasn't much incentive at all .... one or two reports back home , even if they made it here, would not have been favorable .

1572054255381.png

and inland ;

1572054387276.png

or , you might be lucky and land near a river ;

1572054779737.png

That could be totally dry , or have wetlands bogs and swamps for 100s km inland

1572054502623.png

1572054542430.png

With no sightings of civilization, infrastructure, agriculture or raw materials .

Last edited:

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Distance is immaterial .

How do you think the original inhabitants of Australia got there in the first place ?

Jun 2013
Australia
Distance is immaterial .

How do you think the original inhabitants of Australia got there in the first place ?
The original inhabitants were hunter gatherers that got to Australia on foot and over a relatively narrow stretch of water over hundreds of generations. The OP here is asking why major Asian civilizations didn't expand to Australia and I would just say that there was no incentive for such large sedentary agricultural societies (I'm thinking of mainly China, admittedly) to seek out land 8000 km away when they didn't even take a place as near to them as Taiwan. What I'm getting at is that the most that could have happened would have been a snail paced expansion on land, not an oceanic blitz to somewhere way beyond their known horizon. They wouldn't have wanted to go that far even if they technically could.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Thats right ... there was no incentive, as I said . As far as them 'not wanting to go there if they could ' .... sounds like speculation.

The relatively narrow stretch of water you cite is at the end of an island chain that connects to Asia, and it isnt a great barrier at all.

IVC appear to have gone to and traded with NE Africa and beyond via sea .... because they had an incentive .

Reactions: prashanth