Why didn't Armenians or Georgians ever become Muslim like the Anatolians, Azeris, Circassians, et cetera did?

May 2014
SoCal
Why didn't Armenians or Georgians ever become Muslim like the Anatolians (later being transformed into Turks), Azeris, Circassians, et cetera did? What allowed these two ethnic groups to largely remain Christian (there are occasional exceptions--for instance, the Laz Georgians and, until recently, the Adjaran Georgians were mostly Muslim) even while most of their neighbors (pretty much everyone except the Russians) eventually became Muslim sooner or later?

Mar 2016
Australia
I don't know too much about the topic of religious conversion in the Near East and Caucasus, but wasn't Armenia the first country in history to officially designate Christianity as their state religion? With that type of history, it's hard to imagine how religious conversion could ever achieve large-scale success. It would be like expecting Arabia to convert to Christianity.

May 2014
SoCal
I don't know too much about the topic of religious conversion in the Near East and Caucasus, but wasn't Armenia the first country in history to officially designate Christianity as their state religion? With that type of history, it's hard to imagine how religious conversion could ever achieve large-scale success. It would be like expecting Arabia to convert to Christianity.
Arabia did convert to Islam from its traditional religions, though.

That's indeed the case. Christianity became the state religion of Armenia in c. 300, under Trdat III. Their Christianity soon came to play a major role in how they viewed their culture and heritage.

Why'd Trdat choose Christianity?
The story goes that he was converted by Saint Gregory the Illuminator. From what I remember, he cured Trdat of an illness. Gregory was the son of Anak the Parthian, who had murdered Trdat's father Khosrov II for the Persians but who had been executed in turn by loyalists to Khosrov. Gregory was brought up by Christians in exile in Cappadocia.

Similar History Discussions