Why didn't Dravidian separatism ever take off in British India?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
What about Afghanistan? Was it historically perceived as being historically and culturally connected with India?
Pashtuns have no cultural connection to Indians but the region they inhabits today was the Indian cultural sphere. Eastern Afghanistan had been culturally Indian until the 10th century while Western Afghanistan was Iranic cultural sphere. They formed the part of Gandhara(the northernmost region of historical Indian) comprising Northern Pakistan and Eastern Afghanistan. Some like Kamboj Kingdom were also Hindu by religion and racially maybe Iranic. Gandhara is most important historically, Gandhari people are mentioned in Rigveda and Mahabharata and places like Taxila/Takshashila(ancient centre of learning, related to Chanakya), Pushkalavati(birthplace of Sanskrit grammarian Panini) and Purushpura(modern Peshwar, capital of Kushan Empire).

Pashtuns are said to moving in the region after 10th century, although they have absorbed part of earlier population in their race. Pashtuns are Iranic speaking people, while the native Gandharians spoke Gandhari Prakrit(descendant language of Vedic Sanskrit). Pashtuns/Pakhtuns most likely are related to tribe of Pakhta mentioned in the Battle of the ten kings in Rigveda.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
That's what I thought, but you also mentioned the Kabul Valley and Kandahar here and they're not actually located inside of KPK, are they? Indeed, that's what got me confused here.
Kabul valley was the home of Kabul Shahi or Hindu shahi dynasty, the last Hindu dynasty in Eastern Afghanistan . Kandahar was the part of Maurya Empire and Mauryan era edict in Aramaic-Greek had been found there, culturally Kandahar was not linked to India.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Internal politics of Tamil Nadu is not pro to any national parties and its high unlikely any national party going to get space in recent future. While other south Indian states show no resemble with Dravidian politics of Tamil Nadu. Kerala is communist leaning, politics in Karnataka is far identical to North India and pro-Hindu leaning.
You could have waited till May 23. :D

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
What about Afghanistan? Was it historically perceived as being historically and culturally connected with India?
Yeah, historically and culturlly, Afghanistan was related to India, a country which had Hindu rulers till 1,026 CE (Bhim Pala), but Islam changed all that. Pashtuns did not come in from anywhere. They were the original inhabitants of the region since the time of RigVeda (Paktha). Only that the religion changed (from whatever - Zoroastrianism/Buddhism/Hinduism)..

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Kabul valley was the home of Kabul Shahi or Hindu shahi dynasty, the last Hindu dynasty in Eastern Afghanistan . Kandahar was the part of Maurya Empire and Mauryan era edict in Aramaic-Greek had been found there, culturally Kandahar was not linked to India.
I thought ' Kandahar' is derived from ' Gandhar'. Gandhar, as a region is very much mentioned in Mahabharat. Queen Gandhari, wife of Dhritarashtra, was a princess of Gandhar.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Probably the Gandhara kingdom was larger at one time than what is considered Gandhara now. But the name stuck even after the area may have been lost to Persians. I have not come across found any other origin or any other name for the region in history.
And also let me point out that Kabul and Kapisha were not part of Gandhara Kingdom. They were independent kingdoms.
Gandhara kingdom probably straddled Suleiman Mountains, part on one side, part on the other. It may have include Peshawar during the Epic ages.