Why didn't Dravidian separatism ever take off in British India?

Apr 2019
India
I 4. Again the problem was script.
Language of Raheem and Amir Khusrow feels more like Braj bhasha.

I can already see the effects of inadequate script on Pakistani Urdu. They are loosing many sounds.

How about modifying Devanagari or any other indic script? Making it simpler and more adequate to accomodate all of Indic sounds.
Even though we can't dream of having single national language but atleast we can have same script throughout the country. I find it hard to decipher all of 'jalebis' on the sign boards.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
How about modifying Devanagari or any other indic script? Making it simpler and more adequate to accomodate all of Indic sounds.
Even though we can't dream of having single national language but atleast we can have same script throughout the country. I find it hard to decipher all of 'jalebis' on the sign boards.
I think that is possible and commendable. But we will again have the problem of script. Why Devnagari? Why not Bangla or Kannada? :D

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
please clarify these few things

1. role of hindi language in north indian hindu kingdoms before the british
  2. role of hindi language in hundred years during british rule before independence war
  3. role of hindi language as a distinct language compared to urdu, how it became a distinct language compared to mere dialect?
  4. why was hindi language insisted despite little to no difference with urdu and when hindus clearly knew urdu well enough/ lots of hindu urdu poets
  5. why sudden demand for hindu majority when pre independence war era it was not pushed?
  6. why hindus fought with muslims during independence war if hindus and muslims were divided?
  7. which language hindi or urdu came first? which language had older history
regards
Bulk of early Hindi poetry comes from Bhakti era poems in Khariboli and Brajbhasha dialects. As per Sir Syed Ahmed Khan "Urdu was the language of gentry and Hindi that of the vulgar."

So, are you implying that North Indians are to be blamed for not accepting Urdu. Urdu is the Indian heritage but doesn't mean that others have to suck to it to show their secular credentials. If the Muslim elites of that time had problem with Hindus preferring Sanskritized Khariboli, then it was their problem, a small minority can't impose their wish on the majority.

Beside, a typical Indian leftist would talk about everything caste system, European exploitation of India but would start name calling when they talk about Persecution of Hindus by Muslims or Christians.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Since the separatism advocated first by E.Ramaswamy Naicker, the founder of Dravida Kazhagam has petered out altogether by now, there's no point in having a common script for all the Indian languages. Things are working out fine,as they are.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
You did not read comment properly. I said either Devnagari or any other Indic script. In the end all of them have their origin in Brahmi.
:) And they are all written differently. That creates a problem.
Create a new script that would fit esthetically well and the information age.
That is a long-haul but certainly commendable. That will free us from the problem of many scripts. Perhaps that will bring different languages closer. At the moment what is written in one language is Greek to the person of some other language. Take for example Hindi, Marathi and Gujarati. We can have at least some idea of what is written even if it is not in our own language.
Since the separatism advocated first by E.Ramaswamy Naicker, the founder of Dravida Kazhagam has petered out altogether by now, there's no point in having a common script for all the Indian languages. Things are working out fine,as they are.
Yeah, I agree that they are working out nicely.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Dravidian ideology has no taker among Telugus, Kannadigas and Malayalis, Dravidian ideology consider Tamil as a mother civilization. The success of anti-Hindi agitation in Tamil Nadu was the main reason Dravidian parties come to power. Dravidian ideology also have a strong anti-Hindu pitch, that's too wasn't successful.

Apr 2019
India
Dravidian ideology has no taker among Telugus, Kannadigas and Malayalis, Dravidian ideology consider Tamil as a mother civilization. The success of anti-Hindi agitation in Tamil Nadu was the main reason Dravidian parties come to power. Dravidian ideology also have a strong anti-Hindu pitch, that's too wasn't successful.
That ideology was created and pushed by foreign forces. Indian never knew that Tamilian were a different breed than rest of the India. That is still useful for soul-harvesters.
But still I think we should let them dream that they were originated in Lemuria and their ancestors created great Harappa untill evil 'Aryan' brahmin pushed them back and later polluted their 'moolniwasi' blood. Meanwhile they also imposed evil 'caste system' on them. How can these both endogamy and blood pollution can happen simultaneously?
Thank God we live in the age of genetics where many myths can easily bust many myths.