Why didn't Hitler give the heavily German parts of Transylvania to Hungary in 1940?

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Do you think that, had Romania not switched sides, it would have still gotten northern Transylvania back at the end of the war?
I don't know.

When did these plans take place? As in, when were they being created and discussed?
These plans took place during their meetings, when they were gathered together to discuss what to make from the "directions" they received from Stalin and his subordinates.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Doesn't change what I said: at the end of the war, Romania was sitting on the side of table where Hungary and Germany stood, not on another side.
Romania was treated as a defeated power in the post-WWII peace talks?

I wouldn't call that (and else either) "loot".

The region is awfully complicated, and in a lot of cases both sides are right, as both sides are wrong in the same time.
Fair enough, I suppose. Makes sense.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
These plans took place during their meetings, when they were gathered together to discuss what to make from the "directions" they received from Stalin and his subordinates.
Why were these plans ultimately abandoned?

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Why were these plans ultimately abandoned?
If you are asking for my personal opinion, I think that they were abandoned because their masters in the Soviet Union decided so. If you are asking me why their masters decided so, I answer you by teling that they decided so because they thought that that would be better for them than otherwise.

Last edited:

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
1575127405984.png
On the map you can see were the Lorrainers from the Banat come from : Romance place names in the south , German ones in the North.

Perix

Ad Honoris
Dec 2009
Romania
Because he wanted to hope to get Romania as an ally in the future?

A smaller corridor can look like this:

Please note that this is an alternate history map.

By leaving the Axis and joining the Allies, of course. Interestingly enough, I read that this Romanian move actually saved a huge part of Budapest's Jewish population--who were scheduled to begin being deported to Nazi death camps on August 27, 1944 but Romania's switch of sides as a result of King Michael's Coup on August 23, 1944 caused the Nazis to temporarily abandon their plans due to the much more precarious military situation that the Axis found itself in after Romania's defection to the Allies.
It was a desperate move to save the monarchy and total distruction of the country. Posible was accounted the posibility the soviets would took Transylvania from Romania. Was a win-win movement

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
View attachment 25128
On the map you can see were the Lorrainers from the Banat come from : Romance place names in the south , German ones in the North.

I found this article about them, which also mentions a book based on an older one (unfortunately the article is in Romanian, the same as the both books): Fabuloasa poveste a francezilor din Banat. Istoria unei colonizări în sens invers după 200 de ani. My impression is that they "re-discovered" their French roots due to the political context rather than keeping an untinterrupted French identity. In fact the article quotes the author of the newer book by saying that the author of the older book explained the disappearance of the French from the censuses through their (complete, at least linguistically) Germanization or Magyarization until the middle of the 19th century.

Last edited: