Why didn't India ask Bangladesh for the return of the Chittagong Hill Tracts in 1971 after it helped liberate Bangladesh from the Pakistanis?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Yes, I'm well-aware of all of this. That said, though, adding Chittagong Port to India would have only increased India's Muslim population by, what, 1%? Even less than that?
British could have given small strip that constitute Bangladesh-Myanmar border, India could have developed a port there. Now past is past, all three countries should be contented whatever they have got.

Reactions: Futurist

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
So, a Gdynia for northeastern India?

Completely agreed.
India is now using Sittwe Port of Myanmar for transporting goods to North East India. Even the ports of Bangladesh could be used for transport, but relations with Bangladesh could sour soon Begum Khaleda Zia comes to power, her party has always kept an anti-India and anti-Hindu stance.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
India is now using Sittwe Port of Myanmar for transporting goods to North East India. Even the ports of Bangladesh could be used for transport, but relations with Bangladesh could sour soon Begum Khaleda Zia comes to power, her party has always kept an anti-India and anti-Hindu stance.
Yep, I actually posted a link to Sittwe's Wikipedia article here.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Yep, I actually posted a link to Sittwe's Wikipedia article here.
Burma can be relied in the long term its a gateway to South East Asia, Bangladesh's politics depends upon which party is in power and thus future could be uncertain.