Why didn't Indian civilization spread to its west?

Jan 2016
India
Rathores look indistinguishable from other Rajputs of Rajasthan. They are certainly less Caucasoid than Rajputs from Haryana, but still have, overall, much sharper facial features and lighter tone as compared to Kannadigas. However, all of this is highly irrelevant to the original question of whether they have south Indian origins. An affirmative standpoint I think is firmly established in academia and any speculations about 'royal Jat' background to early Rathore emergence are not just based on no evidence, but outright ludicrous. Jats had zero presence (political or otherwise) in the areas of southern Rajasthan where the Rathores as a well differentiated and mature Rajput clan are first attested.

Last edited:
Jul 2017
USA
Rathores look indistinguishable from other Rajputs of Rajasthan. They are certainly less Caucasoid than Rajputs from Haryana, but still have, overall, much sharper facial features and lighter tone as compared to Kannadigas. However, all of this is highly irrelevant to the original question of whether they have south Indian origins. An affirmative standpoint I think is firmly established in academia and any speculations about 'royal Jat' background to early Rathore emergence are not just based on no evidence, but outright ludicrous. Jats had zero presence (political or otherwise) in the areas of southern Rajasthan where the Rathores as a well differentiated and mature Rajput clan are first attested.
I think there are more "lighter toned" and "sharp featured" Kannadigas than you would like to imagine. You should visit Bangalore. I mean most Indians are just brown anyway

And whether or not Rathores came from South India has little to do with their stereotyped appearance

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
I think there are more "lighter toned" and "sharp featured" Kannadigas than you would like to imagine. You should visit Bangalore
I didn't imply that the Kannadigas are generally not 'light toned' or 'sharp featured'. I've seen a number of Kannadigas, and I'm of the opinion that they are considerably less so in comparative terms with peoples of northwest India. Bangalore, as far as I know, has a substantial North Indian component in population, so I'd not be so quick to judge based on what I see there.

I mean most Indians are just brown anyway

And whether or not Rathores came from South India has little to do with their stereotyped appearance
Agreed.

May 2017
kaam se kaam rakho Gandu
You will find these Gotras in all castes. Brahmins, Kshatriyas and Vaishyas.
Kuldevta or devis change according to the areas where they will reside. The ishata devi/devtas of their ancestors might have been different.
I think you have not seen all Rathores. I am from Jodhpur. Don't just include the rulers and the rich. That is the effect of selective breeding. There are other Rathores as well.

i like how you completly ignored gotras of rathores. you can change your caste but you can not change your gotra. rajput, brahmin and baniyas have gotra so generally its not hard to say that you are from X gotra brahmin or y gotra Rajput. how can a kshatriya tribe who have kaushika gotra can be parent of another kshatriya tribe who have completly dofferent gotras ?

also presence of rathore jats in Rajasthan and UP also questions Supposed kannada origin of Rathores.

one more thing, all rathores i met are from humble background such as Darzi, Worker, Auto driver and watchman.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
"James Todd writes about Rathor - A doubt hangs on the origin of this justly celebrated race. The Rathor genealogies trace their pedigree to Kusa, the second son of Rama ; consequently they would be Suryavansa. But by the bards of this race they are denied this honour ; and although Kushite, they are held to be the descendants of Kasyapa, of the Solar race, by the daughter of a Daitya (Titan). The progeny of Hiranyakasipu is accordingly stigmatized as being of demoniac origin. It is rather singular that they should have succeeded to the Lunar race of Kusanabha, descendants of Ajamidha, the founders of Kanauj. Indeed, some genealogists maintain the Rathors to be of Kusika race.

The pristine locale of the Rathors is Gadhipura, or Kanauj, where they are found enthroned in the fifth century ; and though beyond that period they connect their line with the princes of Kosala or Ayodhya, the fact rests on assertion only." :)
https://www.jatland.com/home/Rathor

Mar 2014
Canada
Once again you're relying on your favourite source, Wikipedia. Like other users have mentioned, literally anyone can edit it and in the area of South Asian history, it is very unreliable. You can rely on Wiki if you want but I and others would rather use websites like Google books and the Digital Library of India.

And being the grandson of a scholar does not automatically make you an expert. If you made such a claim in an academic debate, you would be laughed at.

Mar 2014
Canada
May 2017
kaam se kaam rakho Gandu
i like how you completly ignored gotras of rathores. you can change your caste but you can not change your gotra. rajput, brahmin and baniyas have gotra so generally its not hard to say that you are from X gotra brahmin or y gotra Rajput. how can a kshatriya tribe who have kaushika gotra can be parent of another kshatriya tribe who have completly dofferent gotras ?

also presence of rathore jats in Rajasthan and UP also questions Supposed kannada origin of Rathores.

one more thing, all rathores i met are from humble background such as Darzi, Worker, Auto driver and watchman.
Rathores are most-likely Royal Jats who ruled some small kingdoms of North West India and later assimilated into Rajput fold as Kshatriyas.

please not these points as well;

1) Gotras of Rathores are Goutam, Kashyap, Shandilya while Rashtrakutas were of Kaushika gotra.

2) Vedas of their tribe are Samved, Yajurved.

3) their kuldevis are Pankhani, (Vindhyavasini), Nagnecha (nagana) all these are located in North Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.

4) Isht devta of rathores are Ramchandraji just like any other Suryavanshi Clan.

5) on personal note, i have seen many Rathores in my life and i must say all most all Rathores i have met have Pale skin and refined features. if anything, their history suggests that they are most-likely indo-Aryans who have assimilated many invaders (scythians,kushans etc) into their tribe as we can also find many jats with rathore surname/gotra.
i am still waiting for somebody to prove their solankis and rathores are south Indian theory.