Why didn't Mao suffer Stalin's fate?

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
China has always been split between periods of stability and civil warfare. The CCP is only 70 years old after all. In the grand scheme of Chinese history, not long at all. Who knows what calamities lay on the horizon for any country. Another reason while the Cultural Revolution with the millions of deaths is also not much out of the ordinary for the suffering Chinese have gone through in history.
Even more reason to cherish the order that Mao's regime brought.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I'm not so sure Mao was an Historical necessity for China rise
Taiwan did fine and all of China progress were made by the policy of a man who was purged twice

on the whole china re-emergence was inevitable after the 1911 revolution
all the events and troubles were mere impediments to fulfilling its destiny

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm not so sure Mao was an Historical necessity for China rise
Taiwan did fine and all of China progress were made by the policy of a man who was purged twice

on the whole china re-emergence was inevitable after the 1911 revolution
all the events and troubles were mere impediments to fulfilling its destiny
Taiwan was a small island that was already one of the most developed places in East Asia by 1945, thanks to the Japanese colonial rule. Yes, that's right, Japan made Taiwan a fairly rich place on a per capita basis when compared to other regions in Asia at the time.

Chiang Kai-shek successful rule in the island of Taiwan was partly thanks to the previous Japanese colonial policies and omse of the institutions they established while ruling the island.

Chiang Kai-shek rule in mainland China was not a successful one, though.

Reactions: Isleifson

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Certainly Chiang was objectionable at Sooo many levels
anyone who make Mao looks good got to have a lot of baggage
on the whole the Puritanism of the communists had a good influence on the traditional Chinese tradition of grand corruption
sweeping the Augean stables clean , so to speak
my point was that early 20th century china was in the dump
anyone half competent would seems to be a grand leader just by letting things go with the historical flow
of course the Nixon policy of drawing China into the free market world trade network probably made him the best Chinese leader of our time

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Taiwan was a small island that was already one of the most developed places in East Asia by 1945, thanks to the Japanese colonial rule. Yes, that's right, Japan made Taiwan a fairly rich place on a per capita basis when compared to other regions in Asia at the time.

Chiang Kai-shek successful rule in the island of Taiwan was partly thanks to the previous Japanese colonial policies and omse of the institutions they established while ruling the island.

Chiang Kai-shek rule in mainland China was not a successful one, though.
So the colonial policies can be good for a country?

That's not very PC , old boy!

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Beria was initially thought to have the best chance to replace Stalin due to his control of the secret police. The other leaders wanted to move away from Stalin's terror policies, so they took out Beria. They presented evidence about his behavior with teenage girls, but had him executed for being a British agent. The latter was obviously fabricated, so maybe the former was exagerated.

Stalin was also an effective war leader, and made the Soviet Union a superpower. He is respected by many Russians now.

In China, they moved away from the Cultural Revolution and then really from Communism, but it wasn't necessary to attack Mao. The government there is still chosen through the Communist structure, so attacking Mao would attack the legitimacy of their government.
Not only an effective war leader, pretty nobody is asking from where was coming all gargantuous war production of Soviet union, they needed much less working hours to produce for example a tank than Germans. I've read that top Ford's engineers were reforming Soviet industries in thirties with assembly lines while Germans were having close to none.

It was funny to read how party cronnies removed Beria. Zhukov arrested him personally with a pistol while two army divisions entered Moscow and surrounded NKVD facilities and arrested thousands of NKVD members. Beria and all his NKVD top were executed very fast.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that Mao was generally a more pleasant person and IIRC even owned up to some of his mistakes towards the end.

While I’ve heard Stalin could be charming, he also appeared to be a very paranoid, generally not fun person to be around; considering how many high-ranking people he executed, I’m not surprised they knocked down his record when he wasn’t there to menace them anymore.

Even Stalin’s guards were scared to check on him when he died since they were ordered to not disturb him or something along those lines. I just can’t imagine anyone who worked with him liked or admired him very much.
I've read that Mao killed Deng's son while keeping him on a high position. Deng was after Mao's death not spitting on Mao's figure as Khruscev was on Stalin's but he removed worst ideological fanatics and was having Mao's widow (the gang of four process) for an excuse. Deng was functioning in an imperial way and understood that capable people who can run processes must be on top of society, not ideological idiots as Mao or Khruscev. Also Breznev was a complete idiot but not so aggressive as Khruscev. Putin corrected it in a same way as the Chinese.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Deng son was thrown off a window by red guards during the cultural revolution , leaving him crippled in a wheelchair ,
Deng was in a re-eduction camp at the time
coming to power , he forbade any reprisal against those who did it

Deng Pufang - Wikipedia

Reactions: macon

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Mao hasn't been reduced in history quite like Stalin because he still matters for the legitimacy of the Communist Party as ruler of China. (China is a one-party dictature still, while Russia for all its flaws is not.) By comparison the Soviet Union is no more and the Communist party there rules nothing. Otoh under Putin Stalin has had a revival and has come up in Russian estimation, possibly to a level more roughly equal with the official Chinese view of Mao and necessary, and mostly right despite some glaringly flawed judgements.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
So the colonial policies can be good for a country?

That's not very PC , old boy!
It depends which colonial policies you are talking about, which colonial power, which colonized country and which specific period.