Why didn't Montenegro immediately secede from Yugoslavia like the other Yugoslav SRs did?

Jul 2017
Europe
Why'd the Montenegrin people support Djukanovic, though?
It has to do with the fact that Serbia and Montenegro at the time was in a very bad state, mostly due to Slobodan Milosevic’s failed policies that resulted in the economic sanctions, the NATO bombing and the overall poverty of the middle class. All this turmoil had enabled the ruling party led by Djukanovic to lead a successful campaign which in turn resulted in the secession of Montenegro and the breakup of the Union.

May 2014
SoCal
Yes. It's just interesting that things changed so much in regards to this over the next 14 years.

It has to do with the fact that Serbia and Montenegro at the time was in a very bad state, mostly due to Slobodan Milosevic’s failed policies that resulted in the economic sanctions, the NATO bombing and the overall poverty of the middle class. All this turmoil had enabled the ruling party led by Djukanovic to lead a successful campaign which in turn resulted in the secession of Montenegro and the breakup of the Union.
Yeah, I guess that becoming a pariah certainly didn't help. That said, though, I'm presuming that things began improving after 2000 due to Milosevic's ouster.

Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
  • Maki

Maki

Yes. It's just interesting that things changed so much in regards to this over the next 14 years.
Highlander gave a really good summary. We are also witnessing the rise of Montenegrin nationalism in recent years with the attempts to establish a separate, Montenegrin Orthodox Church and the promotion of a separate, Montenegrin identity. Add that to the list of Balkan nationalisms. o_O

Last edited:
May 2014
SoCal
May 2014
SoCal
Highlander gave a really good summary. We are also witnessing the rise of Montenegrin nationalism in recent years with the attempts to establish a separate, Montenegrin Orthodox Church and the promotion of a separate, Montenegrin identity. Add that to the list of Balkan nationalisms. o_O
That makes sense. I guess that Montenegro is to Serbia what Ukraine is to Russia--albeit without actual war or bad relations.

Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
  • Maki

Maki

Are you suggesting that the elections in Montenegro were rigged? As for corruption, it's a problem everywhere or almost everywhere in southeastern Europe. :(
Montenegrin government is, I would dare to say, worse than others as far as corruption goes, though someone actually living in Montenegro might be able to provide more details.

Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
  • Maki

Maki

That makes sense. I guess that Montenegro is to Serbia what Ukraine is to Russia--albeit without actual war or bad relations.
In a way, yes. Though sometimes relations can get strained, for example Montenegro recognizes Kosovo and recently entered NATO. Also, the Serbian Orthodox Church can sometimes find itself under attack due to attempts to establish the Montenegrin Orthodox Church. Still, most Montenegrins and Serbs have good relations and think highly of each other.

May 2014
SoCal
In a way, yes. Though sometimes relations can get strained, for example Montenegro recognizes Kosovo and recently entered NATO. Also, the Serbian Orthodox Church can sometimes find itself under attack due to attempts to establish the Montenegrin Orthodox Church. Still, most Montenegrins and Serbs have good relations and think highly of each other.
Thanks for this information! :)