Why didn't some of the european powers attack the 13 colonies right after the AR?

Mar 2013
US
Hello world! My name is Carlos and I am 13 years old. This is my first thread on Historum.

So, I was looking over my APUSH book, and I was looking over some of the stages and consequences of the American Revolution. However, I discovered that the 13 colonies were at their weakest state right after the Revolutionary War. They were in great debt and in great disarray and disorder. They didn't even appoint a president yet and there were a few significant rebellions (ie. Shay's Rebellion, Whiskey Rebeliion...) In a nutshell, it was total chaos and turmoil for the 13 colonies.

France and Spain must have been enraged over the fact that many of their colonies were taken over by the British, and they must have wanted to develop more colonies overseas. I am sure they saw the 13 colonies in chaos, so why weren't the colonies attacked? One might reply that the 13 colonies had just defeated the British, one of the strongest powers in the world at that time, yet after the war, the colonies were very weak. So why weren't the colonies attacked? no one lifted a finger.

Rongo

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Ohio
Hello world! My name is Carlos and I am 13 years old. This is my first thread on Historum.

So, I was looking over my APUSH book, and I was looking over some of the stages and consequences of the American Revolution. However, I discovered that the 13 colonies were at their weakest state right after the Revolutionary War. They were in great debt and in great disarray and disorder. They didn't even appoint a president yet and there were a few significant rebellions (ie. Shay's Rebellion, Whiskey Rebeliion...) In a nutshell, it was total chaos and turmoil for the 13 colonies.

France and Spain must have been enraged over the fact that many of their colonies were taken over by the British, and they must have wanted to develop more colonies overseas. I am sure they saw the 13 colonies in chaos, so why weren't the colonies attacked? One might reply that the 13 colonies had just defeated the British, one of the strongest powers in the world at that time, yet after the war, the colonies were very weak. So why weren't the colonies attacked? no one lifted a finger.
Welcome to the forum, Carlos. Actually France and Spain fought alongside the colonies and helped them win their independence from Britain. They were happy to see the United States removed from the British Empire. They really had no desire for the American land themselves, they just wanted to diminish Britain's power.

There would be some friction between the United States and France and Spain over the next several years, and there were threats of war, but neither France nor Spain really wanted to acquire American territory. (In fact France ended up selling the Louisiana Territory to the United States less than 20 years after independence).

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Exactly Rongo ( and your posting wasn't even Rongo-nized) :)

Kind of a catch-22 for the European powers that assisted the
young US into becoming a nation. By wanting to poke England
in the eye and stop their economic dominance of the trading
routes and ports, they created a potential new economic power
in the burgeoning US. Kind of like planting a pretty new tree in
the wrong spot. It looks nice when it is small, but as it grows,
its going to start hitting the house or power lines.

Mar 2013
US
Thanks, bUt why didn't Spain or France have army interest in the u.s. as territory or for personal benefit? That would be a great addition, wouldn't it? They could help the u.s. best up the British, and then taking it all for themselves when the colonies were at their weakest point? Kill two birds with one stone, eh?

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Good inquisitive questions Random D_,
keep in mind that Spain and France are a lot closer to
England than the US and if the two powers gained up on
the young US, it would be very concievable that the US and
Great Britain would suddenly become allies.
England could take that military might of theirs, they were only
defeated in a theater of war, and not militarily crushed world wide,
and invade the two countries closer to her while France/Spain fought an overseas war.
Besides, it takes a lot of money to prosecute a foreign war so far from favorable turf.

Haesten

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011

France was virtually bankrupted by their wars in America and were in no position to attack America. Rodney's victory over the Comte de Grasse at the Battle of the Saintes 1782 left them sidelined at the Treaty of Paris 1783.
The debt they incurred during the American Revolution led to revolution and the Reign of Terror a few years later.

Mar 2013
US
Oh yes. I see now. I didn't ponder that---the us and england would stick together and fight France and Spain. How naive I am. But I was thinking that England and us were mutual enemies and the us had just crushed the british in a war, right? Why would they stick together again?