Why didn't the ancient Egyptians have a large empire?

Nov 2009
Aiel Waste
Another thing that might come into consideration is population. Barring plagues the population of earth has been steadily increasing. So if you were to compare Egypt empire with say Rome, Rome had a larger population base to recruit soldiers from making it easier to expand and control their borders.

gaius valerius

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Belgium
Another thing that might come into consideration is population. Barring plagues the population of earth has been steadily increasing. So if you were to compare Egypt empire with say Rome, Rome had a larger population base to recruit soldiers from making it easier to expand and control their borders.
Not necessarily so. It is not just about demographics, but also the means to mobilise them. Rome was apt at incorporating the defeated with an approach that to an extend was unique in the classic world. But it would be invalid to suppose this as a necessary requirement for 'empire'. How else can we explain the Persian, Macedonian or Successor empires? The explanation hence lies elsewhere.

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
I just get the impression that most of Egypt's military expeditions were more defensive or perhaps punitive. Was there, early on, a reluctance of the Egyptians to leave the "supporting influence" of the Nile and its tributaries with fertile ground providing food sources? I would think that it would take a tremendous amount of human resources to support an army of, let's say, 10,000 troops schlepping across arid, waterless territory to engage an offending nation or tribe. In that region of the world, it just seems to me that the farther the army has to travel, the more people needed to support them.

Jul 2009
USA
Originally posted by Satuf
Why didn't the ancient Egyptians have a large empire?
Because when Egypt finally became interested in empire (the Late Bronze Age) there were two very powerful kingdoms standing in Egypt's way. First Mittani (the Hurrians) and then the Hittites prevented Egypt from expanding any further than the Levant - which they eventually lost to the Hittites at the battle of Qadesh.

It's funny, but you haven't noticed that I'm from the country where Saladin was from, and I knew he was a Moslem since I was 6?
Saladin was a Kurd.

Lord_of_Gauda

Ad Honorem
Nov 2009
Canada
The answer is simple: logistical cost.

How big an empire is, is determined in large part by the logistical cost of the empire to maintain its borders vs other neighbouring empire to do the same.

Egypt has geographical constraints: the coast of libya was in Egyptian sphere (in the new kingdom) but beyond that, it was far costlier for Egypt to maintain a hold compared to the Berber kingdoms of algeria.
Likewise, beyond meroe, central Sudan was much more logistically expensive for Egypt to maintain than it was for Ethiopia.
Palestine was far more logistically expensive for Egypt to maintain than it was for mesopotamians, who had a far easier time controlling the region of Amurru(modern day syrian coastline) and therefore, by extension, the levant.

gaius valerius

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Belgium
i believe the main reason the egyptian empire didn't expand much was because the pharoahs spent all their money and used all their men to build their temples/cities/pyramids etc... look at akenaten--every chunk of gold he got went to armana--all he cared about was his golden city. if the pharoahs had not been such egomaniacs, they may have had more cash for wars and expanding their borders. and they spent more time worrying about their after-life than the one they were living...:)
Hardly so.

Nov 2010
I read an article in the internet: "

Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought ( I can't post the link) .

Archaeologists have discovered a hieroglyphic engraving in Saudi Arabia, which suggests that ancient Egyptian empire extended further than previously thought.

I imagine Pyramids in Saudi Arabia :D

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
I read an article in the internet: "

Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought ( I can't post the link) .

Archaeologists have discovered a hieroglyphic engraving in Saudi Arabia, which suggests that ancient Egyptian empire extended further than previously thought.

I imagine Pyramids in Saudi Arabia :D

what region of saudi arabia? im curious. im gonna make a shot in the dark and guess hejaz