Why didn't the British try to reconquer the US after 1812?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
It is wonderful to see this kind of nationalist history is still in vogue in at least one part of the world. It takes one back to the days when it was fondly imagined that footsloggers in Wellington's army were inspired by the thought that they were fighting for British liberties! Morison apparently believed in the civilizing effects of the American system of slavery.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It is wonderful to see this kind of nationalist history is still in vogue in at least one part of the world. It takes one back to the days when it was fondly imagined that footsloggers in Wellington's army were inspired by the thought that they were fighting for British liberties! Morison apparently believed in the civilizing effects of the American system of slavery.
Yes, in the US many people still do believe that we had freedom that did not exist in the monarchies of Europe. You can make a reasonable argument for or against that.

If you goodle "star stangle banner racist" or "hireling and slave" you will find lots of articles about people claiming that this was a reference to the slaves who were offered their freedom for enlisting and who made up a decent percentage of the British force that was aiming to attack Baltimore.

"Hireling and slave" was also class and wealth based language looking down on those who were hirelings rather than land holders or independent professionals, merchants, or tradesmen.

Last edited:
Feb 2016
Japan
While the British did take slaves who escaped into the army and navy.. I don’t think they just chucked them a musket and told them to fall in ... though that might have happened a few times. Most of them were put into colonial marines, West Indian regiments or just hung around the camp.
The corps of colonial marines made up only 1 unit out of some 14 units advancing in Baltimore.

I’m sure that was still a terrifying thought to most Americans though.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
If you goodle "star stangle banner racist" or "hireling and slave" you will find lots of articles about people claiming that this was a reference to the slaves who were offered their freedom for enlisting and who made up a decent percentage of the British force that was aiming to attack Baltimore.
They were free the moment they crossed the lines to British territory or boarded a RN ship, they volunteered as free men.

They were free the moment they crossed the lines to British territory or boarded a RN ship, they volunteered as free men.
Americans naturally think Brits enslaved them because of how many enlisted but the facts are in 18th Century America / Europe what was a black man to do to make a living?
Not being a slave left them in the wilderness career wise, they could only really get jobs as servants, field hands or ............ in the British Army, hence the number of enlistments.

It was one of the few careers they could attain after the poor circumstances Americans left them in.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
So anyone who doesn't indulge in American flagwaving (land of the free etc. fighting against nations of slaves) must be be in the grip of Eurocentric Anglomania instead. That just shows how stupid this kind of thing is. The dear old USA, major slave-holding state until the Civil War and virtual apartheid state until my own lifetime, has been a mixture of good and bad like every other nation, and has committed any number dubious acts (to put it mildly) as the major world power. I was brought up to regard my own country in much the same way as you seem to, and to view the British Empire as as being as being unequivocally a civilizing force in the world; but one day one has to grow up and put these illusions aside, and when one does, one ceases to assume that anyone who is not pushing one's own nationalist agenda must be pushing another.

I used a cheap shot against Morison above, he was after all a man of his time, but he is a good historian to judge by of a couple of his books that I have (one on Columbus).

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
s.

I saw the argument made in a general US history by Morrison and Commanger of Harvard that the US ships won because their sailors were better treated and more motivated.
Heres a good one for you

Drachinifels one of those excellent youtube channels you can lose hours in as long as you ignore the first batch of videos where he used the robovoice. the ones on the South American Dreadnoughts and the Tillman batleships are fun!

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Heres a good one for you

Drachinifels one of those excellent youtube channels you can lose hours in as long as you ignore the first batch of videos where he used the robovoice. the ones on the South American Dreadnoughts and the Tillman batleships are fun!
Funny a British video attributing everything to differences in the capabilities of the ships.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
It is in fact very closely argued and shows no particular sign of pro-British bias. It in fact seems rather unlikely that the American officers and crew would be notably superior to those in the RN, unless one is willing to believe that blather about common sailors being inspired by love of freedom; but I would accept real evidence if it suggested that that was the case. There is real specific evidence for the points made in that video.

Last edited: