Why didn't the Spaniards expell the Muslim population of Philippines?

Apr 2015
Italy
The Philippines were part of the Spanish Empire in 1609, when the Spaniards expelled the Moriscos and the Marranos.

Why did they not expell them too from the Pacific colony and install the Inquisition?

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
The Philippines were part of the Spanish Empire in 1609, when the Spaniards expelled the Moriscos and the Marranos.

Why did they not expell them too from the Pacific colony and install the Inquisition?
For most of the period Spain controlled the Islamic regions of the Phillipines only in name only, and the Moros were fairly successful in resisting the Spanish.

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands

In purely practical terms.
How are you going to enforce this?
You are occupying land on the other side of the world where you are massively outnumbered and want to expel millions of people. Not across a narrow strait but across vast amounts of ocean.
The costs would be staggering and the gain would be negative while it would also weaken your entire rule over the country.

So all in all, it wouldn't make any sense if they did and it would have been wholly impractical.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
It's not in any way realistic. Phillipines was a vast area of multiple ethnicity and tribes and Spanish control over it was tenous to say the least. Maybe they could expel them on the one Spanish frigate a year that used to leak it's way round to the Phillipines?

The only chance of maintaining any control would be with some goodwill from the local population, be they muslim or animist!

This book:

http://www.romerolibros.es/libro/cuarteroni-y-los-piratas-malayos-1816-1880_365

although 19th century now, emphasises the lack of control, with a governor in Manila and precious little else. It's about a good religious man who set up missions in the remoter areas, against many hardships and difficulties (including massacres).

Very, very small niche of history but informative none the less. Only in Spanish I'm afraid.

Last edited:

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
For most of the period Spain controlled the Islamic regions of the Phillipines only in name only, and the Moros were fairly successful in resisting the Spanish.
Maybe I must tell you Spain won more battles in Mindanaos than the Moros... so...and I remember that if Spain didn´t expel Moros from Mindanao.... the Moros did´t drive spaniards out Mindanao...:)
Some Spanish victories in Mindanao were the Don Juan Ronquillo campaigns... killed many Moors and pacified many tribes in 1590´s years... or Don Nicolás González annihilated a Moorish Army in Battles of Punta Flecha and Lamitán in 1637. And the Spanish Capital in Mindanao, Zamboanga never was conquered by the Moros... and they attacked lot of times.
But you are right.. the war in Mindanao begun in 1526 and finished in 1899... so... many wars, Peaces, new wars etc etc... and Spain didn´t expell Moors.. you are right... but Moors didn´t expell Spaniards... So the war was... a stalemate?

Ah, it is not necessary to say that in the battles.. the Spanish forces were massively outnumbered. And mostly they were victories.
Sources: F. Combes, Historia de Mindanao y Joló (Madrid, 1897), E. Gallego Ramos, Campañas del Norte de Mindanao (Madrid, 1898), Vicente Barrantes, Guerras piráticas de Filipinas contra Mindanao y Joloanos (Madrid, 1878), Antonio García del Canto, España en Oceanía...colonización de Mindanao (Madrid, 1862), José Montero y Vidal, Historia de la Piratería malayo-mahometana en Mindanao, Joló y Borneo (Madrid, 1888) Manuel María Rincón, Historia de las Operaciones en Mindanao, 1886-1887 (Manila, 1894), Juan Salcedo, Proyectos de Dominación y Colonización de Mindanado (Gerona, 1891)
J.I. Chacón, Mindanao. Estudio Militar (Madrid 1887) or Mariano de Ciria y Pont. Mindanao: Ensayo de un Estudio Militar de esta importante isla (Madrid, 1891).

Also Spain had rights over Northern Borneo but yielded them to Britain in 1885.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Maybe I must tell you Spain won more battles in Mindanaos than the Moros... so...and I remember that if Spain didn´t expel Moros from Mindanao.... the Moros did´t drive spaniards out Mindanao...:)
Spain could have won all of its battles against the Moros, and it wouldn't have mattered without a lasting military presence. Spanish control over Mindanao was tenuous at best, and the Spaniards never ruled there in more than name only. Indigenous Sultanates continued to govern the island, and resisted the Spanish at various times, well into the 1880s. It wasn't until the Moro Rebellion (1899 to 1913) that an armed force managed to fully unite Mindanao with the rest of the Philippines, though under Western hegemony.

Last edited:

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Spain could have won all of its battles against the Moros, and it wouldn't have mattered without a lasting military presence. Spanish control over Mindanao was tenuous at best, and the Spaniards never ruled there in more than name only. Indigenous Sultanates continued to govern the island, and resisted the Spanish at various times, well into the 1880s. It wasn't until the Moro Rebellion (1899 to 1913) that Western power managed to install a lasting hegemony over the region.
So If i don´t missunderstand you.. what you are saying in this forum it is the Spanish army didn´t win battles in Mindano? right?

Yes, I can write here the long long very very long... list of battles between Moros and Spaniards...So, you say the Spanish Infantry never killed or did prisioners any great Mindanao Sultan... right? What you say it is the Moro drove spaniards out from Mindanao... right?
Of course, I think you never read not even one campaign... only for that lack of knowlegde you say without blushing... spanish army didnt achieved great victories over Moros in Mindanao...:cool: Of course, you not even listen the battle of Cottabato or the battle of Sipe Sipe etc etc etc

But of course..your sources, please.. you say Moros defeated Spanish army and drove out Spaniards from Mindanao.. sources? According with you.. Moros won the War... I would like to know your sources...

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
So If i don´t missunderstand you.. what you are saying in this forum it is the Spanish army didn´t win battles in Mindano? right?

No, I'm saying that Spain never controlled Mindanao. Military expeditions against the Moros had mixed results, and never resulted in any lasting control over the island. Local sultanates continued to rule over the island until well into the 19th Century, largely ignoring that Spain claimed the island.

It was sort of like the modern situation with Taiwan and China. China claims Taiwan, but Taiwan ignores it and continues to govern itself.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
No, I'm saying that Spain never controlled Mindanao. Military expeditions against the Moros had mixed results, and never resulted in any lasting control over the island. Local sultanates continued to rule over the island until well into the 19th Century, largely ignoring that Spain claimed the island.

It was sort of like the modern situation with Taiwan and China. China claims Taiwan, but Taiwan ignores it and continues to govern itself.
No, China haven´t armies in Taiwan. Spain yes in Mindanao. China didn´t kill the Taiwanese Primer Minister, Spain killed the Mindanao Sultan... Mindanao in Spain it is what Pakistan in the British Empire (Nortwestern Frontier) . The Spanish Army was in everywhere.
You should go to Mindanao and you will see if the Spaniards were there or not.

Two links (in Spanish) about the Mindanao Campaigns (Not as China in Taiwan). Spain was permanently in Mindanao from 1542 to 1899 but often only in few points.

LAS CAMPAÑAS DE MINDANAO - 1ª parte

La Campaña de Mindanao 2ª parte

The Spanish Army in Mindano ranged between 200 (minimum) 5,000 men (Maximum). And NEVER, the Catholic King sent their best units and armies to Mindanao.. never.. Nor Tercios Viejos, nor Farnesio, Don Juan de Austria, nor Cardenal-Infante etc etc etc... For Spain always was a minor war.
An the mechanics of the war was:

One Sultan rebelled. the Spaniards defeated and forced to submit him. And few years (or months) later, invariably, at which the Sultan strengthened and the Spaniards dwindled in number, he became to raise against the invaders. So it was... permanently.. but not, los MOROS didn´t drive out the Spaniards from Mindanao.. not even with Dutch Support...

And not, the Spanish Army won maybe the 95% battles and skirmishes... but yes, the Rebellion never was suffocated.

Battle of Marahuit.. another Victory in Mindanao