Why didn't the USA use atomic bomb like indimidation on USSR after ww2?

Mar 2014
România
Why? They had 4 years this atomic bomb before USSR have it.

So why they didn't drop it or much better to use it to control what they are fighting today to take control from Europe and save any other country from Russia influence and the bad things they did?

Last edited:
Jan 2014
Portugal
- USSR wasn't hostile towards USA in that period.
- Killing innocent people was just not right.
- Using the bomb would create a World War III, European allies of USA would suffer unnecessary, more US soldiers would be needed to continue a non-sense war and just like their comrades would die.

Still I've questioned myself about it before, so I can't say that your doubts are non-sense.

Mar 2014
London, Ontario, Canada
The use of the bomb in Japan went better than anticipated. I say better loosely: it went better in terms of damage it inflicted and thus helped the Americans to win the decisive victory faster.

With that said: it caused sheer destruction the likes of which had never been seen before. Now the idea of a nuclear weapon was out there and though you're right, the USSR didn't have one until 4 years later, it was speculated as early as September 1945 that the USSR might have the plans to build one (Igor Gouzenko's defection told them about Alan Nunn May's giving information to the USSR re: the bomb).

IF the USSR had developed a bomb of their own, sending one into Russia could cause them to retaliate in same. This would have undoubtedly started another world war.

Mar 2014
România
I believe the answer is they were chickens. They would had have the bomb if USA would have use it at least to disarm Russia??!

Every one is asking??!?! Could Russia be conquered?!?! Many say "No". Yes she could. 10 atomics bombs would have made the job. Like i said Russia was big they could use it for intimidation, made a democratic state and let them be after, like they did in Germany.

What would had Stalin did if he would had have atomic bomb before USA?!?!!?

Last edited:
Sep 2013
Tokyo
What would they gain by dropping a nuke on a country they are not at war with?

Possibly after studying the effects of Hiroshima and Nagaskai, they felt dropping one was a seriously nasty way to wage war, extreme last resort only.

I doubt the people who'd dropped two already were chicken, maybe they had a stronger ethical code than yourself. That claim doesn't make sense? chicken? of what?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I believe the answer is they were chickens. They would had have the bomb if USA would have use it at least to disarm Russia??!

Every one is asking??!?! Could Russia be conquered. Yes She could. 10 atomics bombs would have made the job. Like i said Russia was bog they could use it for intimidation, made a democratic state and let them be after, like they did in Germany.

The world had just been through the worst war in history. The Soviet Union had been an ally, without which Hitler may have succeeded. A nuclear attack on Russia would have been condemned by most people, and it would have made the US a new tyrant.

It is not courageous to launch nuclear attacks on other countries.

Mar 2014
România
What would they gain by dropping a nuke on a country they are not at war with?

Possibly after studying the effects of Hiroshima and Nagaskai, they felt dropping one was a seriously nasty way to wage war, extreme last resort only.

I doubt the people who'd dropped two already were chicken, maybe they had a stronger ethical code than yourself. That claim doesn't make sense? chicken? of what?
They were communist, every smart man knew what would happen with Poland and all the east Europe countries. Just taake a look how many people die because of Russia after ww2 just for hunger!!!

Mar 2014
London, Ontario, Canada

Every one is asking??!?! Could Russia be conquered?!?! Many say "No". Yes she could. 10 atomics bombs would have made the job. Like i said Russia was big they could use it for intimidation, made a democratic state and let them be after, like they did in Germany.

What would had Stalin did if he would had have atomic bomb before USA?!?!!?
This bothers me. I don't think it's that they were "chickens". As Edwulf stated, they'd already dropped two. I think what I said earlier still stands: After seeing the destruction Nagasaki and Hiroshima suffered, dropping more seemed like suicide.

Mar 2014
România
This bothers me. I don't think it's that they were "chickens". As Edwulf stated, they'd already dropped two. I think what I said earlier still stands: After seeing the destruction Nagasaki and Hiroshima suffered, dropping more seemed like suicide.
Ahaha they were chickens. This is what i believe

The same answer to you. They were communist, every smart man knew what would happen with Poland and all the east Europe countries. Just taake a look how many people die because of Russia after ww2 just for hunger!!!

How many people die in Japan because of USA atomic bombs and how many die in USSR and out side because of them after the ww2?

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions