Why do Muslims in South Asia use pre-Islamic Persian or Iranian names, but not pre-Islamic Sanskritic names?

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
Somehow, I do not believe that there is that much ethno-religionist discrimination as Bart Dale is saying in India, at least among mainstream Indians rather than the ultra-nationalist, ultra-religionist types. I mean, you see so many Muslim actors & actresses in Bollywood, and they do not seem to get any discrimination at all. Not now, not previously. And do not forget, the first president of India post-independene was in fact himself a Muslim.

BTW, there is no such thing as a 'Muslim name', strictly speaking. Only an Arabic name, which has become closely associated with Islam. In Lebanon, Syria & Egypt, you get many Christian Arabs named Muhammad, Abdullah & other typical 'Muslim sounding' names. It's no big deal for them, becos they hv always been Arabic names.
This is obviously a generalization as Muslims have lived in India generally in peace for generations but there are accounts of Muslims changing names in order to advance their careers (Indian Muslims pose as Hindus to get jobs). In fact one of the best examples from the Bollywood you just mentioned is star Dilip Kumar (born Yusuf Khan).

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
DH, the first Muslim President of India was the third and not the first. There have been four Muslim Presidents of India. Dr. Zakir Hussain, educationist, at one time Vice-Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University; Chief Justice of Indian Supreme Court, Justice Hidayatullah (he was a stop-gap President for just 35 days); Fakhruddin Ali Ahmad, a Supreme Court lawyer and Assam politician; and Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, the missile Scientist.

Yeah, in Levant, Christians my have Islamic sounding names. Abdallah means 'servant of God'. A Christians also is an Abdallah to his Abrahamic God.

Last edited:
May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
Muslims in Kerala does inherent malayalam/dravidian names or in combination with persian. But sanskritic names are never used AFAIK. It's not just because of ethnic identity, sanskritic names are predominantly based on Hindu mythologies. Pick a sanskrit name and it'll most certainly be belonging to a puranic/epic/vedic character. It is this religious tag that's causing the problem as far as I see. Moreover, sanskrit language is more closely tied to Hinduism than native tamil or malayalam or goan. So perhaps this drift may have a 'sankskritophobia' attached to it.

On the other hand, many of the Indian Christians are sankritizing their names nowadays. Names such as Arun, Vijay, Ajay, Jeevan even Aryan is commonly used among christians :)

Last edited:

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Not true. There is no discrimination in corporate world where they go by skills and not religion. That is true even for small scale employers. Hindu businessmen may have Muslims employees and vice-versa. My father-in-law's chief of labour (he was an iron merchant) was a Muslim who remained with him for 50 years, to be replaced by his son. He was so trusted that my FIL would leave his house in his care if the family had to go outside Delhi.

The discrimination doesn't have to be real, only perceived to exist. And even is the vast majority of Hindus are ok, there is still are the few out there like the ones in the Gujarat riots. To avoid confrontation with even the few, some will change their names. Even if the problem is with just a minority is incentive enough.

And it is not so much "discrimination" as they think they could do better with a.less different sounding name. Many oHollywood actors and actresses changed their names from more obvious ethnic ones to more typical English sounding names. The actor Charles Bronson was originally Charles Dennis Buchinsky.

Jun 2017
usa
This is obviously a generalization as Muslims have lived in India generally in peace for generations but there are accounts of Muslims changing names in order to advance their careers (Indian Muslims pose as Hindus to get jobs). In fact one of the best examples from the Bollywood you just mentioned is star Dilip Kumar (born Yusuf Khan).

A lot of actors/actresses in the Indian movie industry change their names not because of religion. It really depends on what name the industry thinks will click with the audience. Examples of Hindus who changed their names:

Ravi Kapoor-->>Jeetendra
Dharam Singh Deol--->>>Dharmendra
Rajiv Bhatia--->>Akshay Kumar
Ranveer Bhavnani-->> Ranveer Singh
Shivaji Gaekwad-->>Rajnikant

There are a more but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

If a person is educated, articulate, not over the top religious then he or she can and do succeed regardless of religion or caste(just like in the US). It is a different thing if the individual has a complex about his caste/religion, then that will affect their success and they might attribute it to religious discrimination.

Shahrukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Salman Khan are the top Bollywood stars.
Azim Premji is one of the business leaders of India.
There are many such examples.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
And even is the vast majority of Hindus are OK, there is still are the few out there like the ones in the Gujarat riots.
Many Hollywood actors and actresses changed their names from more obvious ethnic ones to more typical English sounding names.
One must remember that Gujarat riots happened because of burning of the train, and Ayodhya/Babri mosque demolition (a long standing case) happened becuse one of the most venerable temples of Hindus was demolished to build a mosque.
What is wrong with Arabic names. I think they are nice. Why should they change that?
Yusuf Khan became Dilip Kumar. That was the his perception and that of his employers at that time. But there are hundreds of others who did not change their names and succeeded.

Jan 2019
Pakistan
why sikh use parsian name?
sardar khalsa and almost all sikh mythology is in persian

sikh actress name is shehnaz kaur gill , fateh singh and whatnot

Jul 2017
Sydney
why sikh use parsian name?
sardar khalsa and almost all sikh mythology is in persian

sikh actress name is shehnaz kaur gill , fateh singh and whatnot
The Sikh ancestors were in close contact with Khorasan, eastern Iran

Most of these names are quite Indo Iranian in nature, for instance Shah is cognate with Kshatriya

Yusuf or European Joseph is cognate with Ashwa etc

Jul 2017
Sydney
lol, they adopted it just like pakistani muslims
You're thinking at the moment from one end of the spectrum, that of recent history where in last thousand years a culture was introduced to our area

But there is a more ancient background to this which I was referring to. That is the other end of the spectrum :)

Similar History Discussions