Why do people in developed countries still fall into the "debt trap" ?

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
So what do you think we should use instead of water? We don't have enough now to support the existing population.
Was that in reply to me? I don't understand what water has to do with it. Water is being consumed now, and building more houses won't change the amount.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
What I cannot understand is why new houses are not built further out of the boundary of a city. For example London has an outer boundary of about 100 miles long, and let's say houses were built outside it, in a ring one mile deep. That would release 64,000 acres which is enough room for half a million houses which could be sold (at £200,000 each BELOW current house prices) for 100 billion in total, thus basically solving the housing shortage there. So why is it not done?
Who for ? I know many people in London who already spend 3 hours or more daily, commuting.... being far away from work, entertainment , shopping etc.... is not what most people want.... Spending daily anything above 2 hours commuting makes for a very poor quality of life (in fact anything above 1 hours is no fun either)

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Who for ? I know many people in London who already spend 3 hours or more daily, commuting.... being far away from work, entertainment , shopping etc.... is not what most people want.... Spending daily anything above 2 hours commuting makes for a very poor quality of life (in fact anything above 1 hours is no fun either)
You are suggesting that building houses up to 1 mile further out is going to affect their commute so much? I do have a brother who lives in London and has a grinding daily commute of over an hour, and is tired of it. But there are many people in, for example, Reading, which is well outside London, who commute daily to London, basically because there is a fast regular train service. It could be that the transport system, and its problems, that is a factor in causing housing costs to rise.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
If you build houses in places where is water, when it is limited you end up farming in the desert.
I don't get the logic. Water is being supplied to people now, what is being proposed here is that they are provided with houses further out, so water use by people will not increase. Would low-density housing, quite probably with a fair amount of suburban tree cover, necessarily cause desertification?