Why do people miss the USSR and a lot even want it back?

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Sure, that's all you hear in American media. Logical, since USSR was the arch enemy of the U.S...
This reminds me of the good ole days and the propaganda in the former second world. The almighty wealthy bourgeoisie and the hard working men and women of the West in chains like slaves. It was more subtle than that and what you quoted above of coarse. Tyranny, slavery etc literally screams in your face / is product of the cold war animosity and is simply untrue for the last period of the great experiment.

Feb 2019
Planet Earth
This reminds me of the good ole days and the propaganda in the former second world. The almighty wealthy bourgeoisie and the hard working men and women of the West in chains like slaves. It was more subtle than that and what you quoted above of coarse. Tyranny, slavery etc literally screams in your face / is product of the cold war animosity and is simply untrue for the last period of the great experiment.
When the USSR had gulags, the U.S had apartheid. Meanwhile, the USSR had movies like this:

I'm not a Communist or Marxist, simply due to the fact that it's an ineffective economic system. But it some ways, in regards sexism and racism , the USSR was more humane and modern than capitalist societies of that period.

In any case, the real Communist tyranny ended with Stalin's death and few are that old to have experienced it.

Last edited:
Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
People who usually ask such questions are those who were fed western propaganda. For sure, USSR has its own propaganda machine but as history written by the winners - for now, modern generation refers USSR as some evil entity that collapsed for good.

USSR had a lot of good points - for example free education and childcare, free medicine, free activities. Actually a lot of social policies came due to commies and capitalists being afraid of the middle class (now we are moving from that - not everywhere - but in general). Food was of a good quality due to enforced standards by the government. You could travel cheaply. Due to urbanization people from villages came to cities and thus people were more close to each other due to village mentality. You could ask any neighbor for help (while now it would look odd) or even leave the keys from you apartment to them. After university you could easily get a job and it was actually enforced to work for a couple of years so you are good anyway.

From my point of view the next points led to collapse
- some evil agenda with artificial deficits. I call it artificial, because according a lot of people said the goods were available but not sold and were rotting. With close relations between people it led to nepotism where you could get anything by knowing the right people.
- opening towards the western world made people realize actually they lack unnecessary but fancy stuff (commercials). (One would argue that it was due to equality - you cannot have luxuries if you want for everybody to have the same life. It is a balance). And they started to desire it.The government was blind in that regard - like the current EU it was full of old people who are simply behind the time and didn't understand modern needs.
- too much censorship. It was a mistake to make information free on a short timeframe because it led to uncontrollable flood of information. You could compare it with the modern internet where there are a lot of information but no control, thus people create their own echo chambers, push different agenda and so on.
- of course one of the important nails in the coffin was the planned economy. It is works during the wars, but not in peaceful times ROFL. But again in 80s, 70s there were a lot of people who remembered war and could not get rid of "western threat"
- plus, USSR suffered from the same issue as Russia - desire to help other countries instead of their own, while tightening the pressure on the population. I don't know why that kind of mentality exists - probably due to long time of serfdom. Help other countries, they benefit from that, then forgive their debts.

I wound say that USSR was the remnant of old imperial world who failed to adapt to the information age.

Oct 2012
People who usually ask such questions are those who were fed western propaganda. For sure, USSR has its own propaganda machine but as history written by the winners - for now, modern generation refers USSR as some evil entity that collapsed for good.

USSR had a lot of good points - for example free education and childcare, free medicine, free activities. Actually a lot of social policies came due to commies and capitalists being afraid of the middle class (now we are moving from that - not everywhere - but in general). Food was of a good quality due to enforced standards by the government. You could travel cheaply. Due to urbanization people from villages came to cities and thus people were more close to each other due to village mentality. You could ask any neighbor for help (while now it would look odd) or even leave the keys from you apartment to them. After university you could easily get a job and it was actually enforced to work for a couple of years so you are good anyway.

From my point of view the next points led to collapse
- some evil agenda with artificial deficits. I call it artificial, because according a lot of people said the goods were available but not sold and were rotting. With close relations between people it led to nepotism where you could get anything by knowing the right people.
- opening towards the western world made people realize actually they lack unnecessary but fancy stuff (commercials). (One would argue that it was due to equality - you cannot have luxuries if you want for everybody to have the same life. It is a balance). And they started to desire it.The government was blind in that regard - like the current EU it was full of old people who are simply behind the time and didn't understand modern needs.
- too much censorship. It was a mistake to make information free on a short timeframe because it led to uncontrollable flood of information. You could compare it with the modern internet where there are a lot of information but no control, thus people create their own echo chambers, push different agenda and so on.
- of course one of the important nails in the coffin was the planned economy. It is works during the wars, but not in peaceful times ROFL. But again in 80s, 70s there were a lot of people who remembered war and could not get rid of "western threat"
- plus, USSR suffered from the same issue as Russia - desire to help other countries instead of their own, while tightening the pressure on the population. I don't know why that kind of mentality exists - probably due to long time of serfdom. Help other countries, they benefit from that, then forgive their debts.

I wound say that USSR was the remnant of old imperial world who failed to adapt to the information age.
Free medicine indeed. Anticommunism was considered a mental disorder and people were locked up in hospitals.

Similar History Discussions