Why do people miss the USSR and a lot even want it back?

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Sure, that's all you hear in American media. Logical, since USSR was the arch enemy of the U.S...
Gee, and do you suppose that the USA wasn’t the “mortal enemy” of the Soviet Union?

Last edited:

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Soviets and Americans exchanged ideas and hobbies throughout WW2, perhaps more so in the latter stages. By 1944, The US and Soviet Airforces were working with each other in Soviet Airfields flying bombing missions together over the Third Reich. The Soviet People seemed to take interest in American hobbies such as baseball and poker and they would have been in awe of the steel and auto plants in the USA.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Actually, I read that the Soviets were great admirers of the Studebaker trucks we sent them. Did they copy them?
I am not sure, it would not surprise me though. I was referring to the larger trucks. Especially their all terrain machines built from the early 70s onward.

Reactions: JoanOfArc007

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I’m unaware of great Soviet contributions to “auto industries”. Please elaborate. Waiting ten years for an underpowered “car” doesn’t seem like progress.

There is an irony at work here in the US: we tout “capitalism” as if it were an unalloyed and pure form that we practice in the US, but that is not the case at all. After the Great Depression, this form of American capitalism pretty much disappeared because the lesson of pure capitalism is that it will be a destroyer of competition after its initial phases. Businesses don’t really want competition, even though they may harbor the suspicion that competition makes most things better, not worse.

However, once a business gains the upper hand, it has the fairly normal tendency to want to crush and eliminate the competition, which, ironically enough, makes the situation much worse and not better. So measures were put in place to curb the tendency of business to eat its young and to preserve competition.

I knew the owner of a large privately held grocery store chain in my hometown - a pretty brilliant businessman. Over lunch one day I mentioned to him that I only shopped at his stores and wouldn’t mind if the rest of them just went away. He said, “Don’t say that, please. We want to be the biggest player in the field, but we don’t want to crush the competition. That would make us look bad.” In other words, he needed his competition in order to not be accused of troying to monopolize the marketplace.

Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and all sorts of programs to cushion the eventual “below” of unalloyed Capitalism are among the measures we have taken to maintain competition in the marketplace. In some industries, businesses must ask the government if they can make a takeover bid in an industry, for example. I’m sure that businesses chafe at the government’s role in preventing them from crushing the competition but that is exactly its purpose. Eliminate the competition and without that to act as a check on a business, quality will inevitably go down because there is less competition. In a large economy such as ours, competition tends to make things better (but not always).

I remember all too well how Americans used to be charged an arm and a leg by legal monopolies such as Bell Telephone was in many areas of the country. When this industry was finally de-regulated with other phone companies allowed into the marketplace, the price of phone service suddenly dropped into the basement. I understand why legal monopolies were permitted for a time but also understand why they eventually lost their usefulness.
Thomas Sowell mentioned heavy American subsidies towards Californian agriculture in Basic Economics.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
" Actually, I read that the Soviets were great admirers of the Studebaker trucks we sent them "

the Soviets were totally in love with the "studders " it gave their armies longer logistical legs during their offensive
they were rugged and reliable , two qualities dear to their heart
they even equipped them with rocket rack of the Katyusha type , which are to artillery what shotguns are to rifles
that was the deadliest trucks even to go to war

1570942609230.png

Dir

Nov 2015
Kyiv
Actually, I read that the Soviets were great admirers of the Studebaker trucks we sent them. Did they copy them?
Studebaker US6

ГАЗ 51 (GAZ 51)

International Harvester KR-11

ЗИС-150 (ZIS-150, since 1956 - ZIL-150)

Jan 2019
Finland
The Soviets were definitely impressed by American industrialism and hired the industrial architect Albert Kahn to design many of their industrial centers and to train Soviet engineers.

Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
Tyranny, slavery, hunger, mass slaughter, gulags....... so why do people still want it to come back?
It wasn't only that, although the system definitely failed I think for obvious reasons; but many people prefer Brezhnev's Russia to the oligarch's jungle of today and I may understand them.