Why do Royals inbreed?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Why do royals marry cousin to cousin or brother to sister? :zany:
Brother/sister marriage is quite uncommon in human history; I think that is consensual that its taboo and prohibition is more common than its acceptance. Between cousins it is much more common and it is usually related with power, patrimonial strategies and alliances.

Reactions: Futurist

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
It greases the wheels of diplomacy if you're dealing with a brother-in-law or other family relationship. Your sister, who is also the wife of the man you're negotiating with, can act as a middleman (or woman). The problem arises when there are only so many royal families so that every royal is closely related to every other royal and the only marriage choices are with close relatives.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Add in the religious issues and the pool of eligible spouses can dwindle quickly. Keep in mind that the Catholic Church did not have to allow families to interbreed. Give a Royal family several generations to breed and you can get a large number of relatives. Then you have the issue of promiscuity of many kings. Has anyone ever figured out how many descendants Charles II had? They have been marrying back into the House of Windsor. There has been an issue of mental handicaps in the lines of the Kings and Queens of the UK. Beloved Queen Mary had two sisters institutionalized and the Government paid for their upkeep. Prince John, youngest son of Edward VII was kept away from the public. Someone decided he was not capable of learning and he never was given a tutor. He also was epileptic and died at age 14.

Pruitt

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I think brother-sister marriage was common among the pharoahs of Egypt.

Just my opinion, but I think that these fools thought that they were fundamentally superior to the common people, therefore decided that breeding within the family would prevent them from being tainted by inferiors, and increase their superiority. In fact, such a policy has a weakening effect, genetic strength usually comes from choosing from a much wider gene pool.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Because there aren't many of them.

The Pope even had to waive the rules about cousins during the reign of Sancho El Mayor of Pamplona just after the milennium. I mention him as he was related to every royal house in the small kingdoms and condados of christian 'Spain', an early-day Ferdinand.

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Dynastic purity, and related to that also, the preservation of physical wealth & other assets within the immediate family. That wud hv been the most frequently touted excuse. Cambyses, son of Cyrus the Great, actually married not one, but all three of his sisters.

There is also widespread speculation that Vizier Ay of Egypt married Pharaohess Ankhesenamun - young widow of even younger Pharaoh Tutankhamun (who was quite likely her own half-brother) - who cud possibly hv been his own biological granddaughter, in order to boost the strength of his claim to succession to the now vacant pharaohship. But whether that marriage was actually consummated is not so clear, especially with Ankhesenamun kind gradually fading away from the picture afterward.

Last edited:

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
I think brother-sister marriage was common among the pharoahs of Egypt.

Just my opinion, but I think that these fools thought that they were fundamentally superior to the common people, therefore decided that breeding within the family would prevent them from being tainted by inferiors, and increase their superiority. In fact, such a policy has a weakening effect, genetic strength usually comes from choosing from a much wider gene pool.
Correct in a way, they thought they were the descendents of Ra, they couldn't pollute their bloodline with common blood.