Why do you not prefer American history?

Apr 2012
Asheville/Charlotte NC
I know this sounds really American if you will haha. But I imagine most people here prefer Euro history. What is it about your side of the world that you're more interested in? I love American history. It's so short you can go so deep lol

Dec 2012
european history is more complex and it also ties in to the history of most modern states through colonialism. there have been a lot of interesting conflicts in europe and id say the most interesting conficts in north america either involved britain,france or the confederacy(french and indian war,american revolutionary war, war of 1812 and american civil war).like all history i just prefer european because of how full of conflic it is.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I prefer European history because it so much longer and so much more complex. Plus I really like Dark Ages/Middle Ages/Renaissance history.
This sums up how I feel. Not to mention the Romans and Greeks. Although, being an American and all, sometimes I wish some History fairy would come along and sprinkle some 'American-history-magic-dust' on me that would all of the sudden give me a passion for American history. I'm actually taking an American history class right now in college.

Last edited:

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
Other than a few pointy events, European History bores me into a coma.
Good to know that you are familiar with the feeling that American history gives me :lol:

I like the lesser known history... and if anything American history has been done over and over again.
Just about every historical hollywood movie is about some form of American history and there have been thousands of books written on the subject (some with the most horrible titles).

I like to have to dig in old book stores to find the books that I need and to find that in massive stores there are only 2 books that might give me some information on the subject that I'm looking for.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
My main interest in American history is how it pertains to my ancestors. Cultural and social history, local histories, etc. But when I think of mainstream American history, all I think about is politics and war and that just doesn't interest me as much.

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
The American History that starts with the European migration and colonization of the New Found Land is nothing but the continuation of the European History that is the cradle of the Western Civilization. Like the invention of the modern democracy that is anchored on constitutionalism cannot be crafted without the European system of education and their culture as manifested by the ways of the Founding Fathers. Also, the emancipation of the Colonial Americans from the British Empire though revolt cannot be separated from their European origin.

Though, there is a distinct American History as it is, but, the fact is their roots are from Europe, just like the rest of the commonwealth countries of the British Empire and to a certain extent the Central and South American countries which were former colonies of Spain and Portugal.

One thing that separates the U.S. from Europe and South America is football.

Grimald

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Hercynian Forest
I wouldn't say that I dislike American history.

There are certainly very fascinating aspects about it, for example: How can a whole continent be settled and developed in such a short time span? What I also like is that a great part of American history is social and economic history. Moreover, sources are abundant, which is also an advantage. I also like the generally positive atmosphere of American history, especially US history - it is like a fairy tale at first sight. I am also interested in the role ideology plays in presenting and teaching US history.

Having said this, I have to admit that I anyway prefer European history - probably because it is much longer and more diverse. In any case, American history cannot be understood without European history. In many respects, America is dependent on European intellectual history; it is but a continuation of a part of European history. What would the US be without European Enlightenment? For an understanding of what was going on in the crucial 17th and 18th centuries in America, you have to understand the intellectual developments in Europe at that time. And for an understanding of an era, you also have to get to know what was preceding this era, and so you sooner or later will anyway end up in the European middle ages - even if it is just used as a projection screen to understand what was so exciting and novel about America.

Jan 2013
USA RI
America has few stories of interest which after awhile is played out. Perhaps it is all the lies and myths we tell our children about our great leaders. When you truly read about those we considered great you find they aren't. That being said I still like my American history but they aren't separate. To understand the role we are playing now you follow the threads of history and those threads don't remain in America for long. In fact America is not made without threads to other nations. In following the threads since World War Two I have expanded upon the world and why it is the way it is.