Why Does All the World Bow Before Western Music?

Jun 2018
New York
The internet may change that. Consider that these have gone viral...

Western influenced perhaps, but they're singing in Mongolian and using Mongolian instruments.

These guys are awesome.

As for the world 'bowing down' before western music. That might just be marketing for more popular stuff, what people generally like, etc. Music is for everybody, doesn't matter where it comes from. More traditional music doesn't usually make it's way out of its own community. Add something else to it, give it a reoccurring tune/lyrics, just make it as generally appeasing to ones ear as possible and it'll spread.

One could also argue that the western world is at the head of the music industry in terms of sheer universal output. And universal appeal. (If you want to narrow it down even more one could argue it's the US that does this.)

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
This little African instrument is quite popular today: Kalimba

Youtube contains quite a substantial portion of ethnic music.

Reactions: Ashoka maurya
Aug 2013
Finland
Music will always pick up influences from elsewhere, western music has been doing so extensively in the last 100+ years. Still, western music has spread far and wide and become popular globally while "world music" is more or a niche market globally.

I guess the reasons are the same as why western culture in general has been spreading globally, from movies to books to McDonald's.

Mar 2019
KL
generalizing mcdonalds as ''western influence'' would be like stating the ''toyota'' as eastern influence come one man, be real. a person from USA taking pride how well mcdonalds is doing in global market would be fine, but some finnish guy or british guy taking pride in ''mcdonalds'' or ''hollywood movies'' would be odd to say the least.

next what, seeing arabs boasting about japanese manga or pokemon:lol:?

regards

Aug 2013
Finland
Why are you assuming I was boasting with anything? In fact I would not shed any tears if big tax-evading multinationals like McDonald's or Starbucks or something like IKEA for that matter would shrink significantly. Hollywood is hardly producing anything worth watching these days, unless endless carbon copies of the same action adventures counts as worth watching.

I was just stating examples in order to point out that the world isn't bowing to western music in particular but to western culture, including consumer culture in general. How did it end up like this?

For sure Japan has also exported parts of their culture quite successfully in more recent years, although I get the feeling that it has spread globally only after it first spread to the west. I might very well be wrong about this though.

Mar 2019
KL
what you would call as ''western'' would infact be american/USA'', calling them western would be like calling, as i stated pokemon, manga or ''toyota'' as ''eastern'' both highly misguided terms used during colonial periods.

regards

Aug 2013
Finland
I mentioned two specific examples, McDonald's which is indeed American and Claude Debussy who was French. "Western classical music" (as mentioned in the OP) is barely American at all. A lot of modern rock and pop styles are are as much British as they are American.

Regarding movies I especially left out Hollywood from my list as it's nowhere near the whole sum of western movies and even less so if you look at it over a 100+ year period. Just consider as an example that Italians re-invented western (the genre) movies in the 1960s and 1970s.

But this thread is specifically about music so I guess we should not stray too far off topic, even if I definitely think that western music didn't somehow spread independently from other western cultural ideas.

Mar 2019
KL
the fried chicken for instance was brought by african american migrants/labourers to USA from where it took off as KFC etc, same goes to american pop and jazz culture and the rap culture, which was given by african americans, banjo american country music instrument as well has nothing got to do with anglo/british/western influence, so what we should talk about is american stuff. Now labeling it as western obviously would be very misleading. Why dont we just limit the achievements based on countries rather than ''western sphere'' in the current era, im not talking about ''western classical music'' here, only the stuff like mcdonalds and movies which were brought up later in this thread discussion.

regards