Why Does All the World Bow Before Western Music?

Aug 2013
Finland
I don't agree that we should only talk about "american stuff" when the thread is about western music. I didn't mean to accidentally derail the thread by mentioning McDonald's as an example.

One significant thing in music that is western in origin is Equal temperament - which was devised as a solution to the difficulties of getting different instruments with different tuning systems to play in tune with each other in larger orchestras. In essence it restricts the notes playable by an instruments to twelve per octave. These are the notes represented for example by the keys on a piano. It was popularized during the Baroque area.

Comparatively for example some Indian music is composed on a system with 22 notes per octave. Such music can obviously not be played on a piano with standard tuning as a result. I believe the reverse is also true, a traditional Indian instrument would have to be specially tuned to replicate the exact 12 notes of the western octave. Such differences in tuning systems help explain why music from different cultures just sound different - it's because they use different notes.

By "sound different" I mean in sounding a bit exotic in a more general sense. Of course many other differences exist too.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Who is the most famous Japanese person in the world, and why? (If you know the answer to the first part, the second part is obvious).

Mar 2019
KL
again, im not talking about ''western classical music'', but modern ''american music'' the pop, the rap etc are not western as it were african american cultural influence, so its better if we stick to calling them as american rather than as ''western''.

what you are referring to as ''western music'' is actually ''western classical music'' which is an old genre of music and confusing them with modern day music.

regards

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
It's not a question of better or more beautiful music, art being subjective.

Western music has developed tools and methods to make very complex, sophisticated and expressive music. The symphony orchestra is the ultimate musical instrument, so to speak, and attracts composers and musicians from all over the world who are interested in using it and playing music written for it. Just think of all the movie scores written for and recorded by western style orchestras. For instance when I watch an Asian movie it often has a score composed by a Asian composer and performed by a western style orchestra. Often the result is a fusion of western style music and that of another culture.

Reactions: Shtajerc

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Art isn't actually purely subjective, Schubert is a greater composer than Czerny or Hummel because his music has greater depth and one can get much greater delight and inspiration from it; but this is a big subject!

Reactions: David Vagamundo
Aug 2013
Finland
again, im not talking about ''western classical music'', but modern ''american music'' the pop, the rap etc are not western as it were african american cultural influence, so its better if we stick to calling them as american rather than as ''western''.

what you are referring to as ''western music'' is actually ''western classical music'' which is an old genre of music and confusing them with modern day music.
Movie soundtracks today are full of western classical music so it's hardly a dead genre, but if you insist on conveniently leaving out genres of music so that you can talk change the subject to be specifically about American music, feel free.

Do you have any thoughts then about "Why Does All the World Bow Before American Music"?

Aug 2013
Finland
Who is the most famous Japanese person in the world, and why? (If you know the answer to the first part, the second part is obvious).
I gave this some thought and I came up with a couple of candidates, but they are probably all wrong. Akira Kurosawa? Yoko Ono? Hayao Miyazaki? Emperor Hirohito?

Yoko Ono is unfortunately more famous for being blamed as the reason the Beatles broke up rather than for something she has actually done.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Yoko Ono is unfortunately more famous for being blamed as the reason the Beatles broke up rather than for something she has actually done.
That's the right answer. You could go to remote communities in Asia or Africa and they'd know who she was.