Why Does Poland Have No Medieval History?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Poland's history is largely overlooked in the West and much of the world at large because, in Hegel's words, the Slavic nations were culturally inferior and their only place in history has been to defend Europe from Asiatic invaders. Hegel also separates the Russians from the rest of the Slavs, pointing out that Russia is a Scandinavian Germanic creation, not a Slavic one, and that this is why Russia is unique above the other Slavic nations. Seeing how part of Poland was ruled by Prussia in Hegel's time, one can see why Hegel would consider Slavs inferior to Teutons.
I guess that Hegel had something in common with Hitler in the sense that both of them believed that Russia was at its greatest when it was led by Germans.

Feb 2014
Miami
The commonwealth was premodern. I’m sure a lot of polish libraries and books were destroyed due to the deluge. So blame Sweden and Russia. I’m sure the total destruction of Warsaw by the nazis in ww2 also finished off many of the old manuscripts that may have held medieval history (Slavic Poland through greater and lesser Poland’s down until 1452)

Sep 2016
天下
The commonwealth was premodern. I’m sure a lot of polish libraries and books were destroyed due to the deluge. So blame Sweden and Russia. I’m sure the total destruction of Warsaw by the nazis in ww2 also finished off many of the old manuscripts that may have held medieval history (Slavic Poland through greater and lesser Poland’s down until 1452)
While it's true that warfare was destructive, the OP is wondering why there is a paucity of English books on medieval Poland. When it comes to primary sources and Polish books there's plenty to choose from.

Jun 2016
Russia
Why not try Polish classics, Sienkewicz, for example. "The crusaders" is about medieval Poland sure. BTW, is there any one from Poland?

Jan 2014
Portugal
There are some interesting books (generalistic) into Medieval Poland, in English.
The already mentioned Norman Davies Gods Playground vol. I.
Robert Frost, Oxford History of Poland-Lithuania vol. I

Similar History Discussions