Why does Scandinavia have much more people than the Baltic countries have?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why does Scandinavia have much more people than the Baltic countries have?

Scandinavia has over 20 million people if one only counts Norway, Sweden, and Finland and over 25 million people if one counts Denmark in addition to all of these countries. Meanwhile, the Baltic countries (Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia) combined only have slightly more than 6 million people. Why exactly is this the case?

One could say that Scandinavia has much more territory than the Baltic countries, but a lot of Scandinavia's territory is sparsely populated; thus, I'm not really sure that this is an accurate explanation as to why Scandinavia has much more people than the Baltic counties have.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Based on the map here, both Latvia and Estonia (though not Lithuania) appear to look much less dense than the southernmost parts of the various Scandinavian countries:

Sep 2014
Queens, NYC
1. Does Finland count as Scandinavian?
2.Isn't Denmark always counted as Scandinavian?

3. IIrc, some areas of Scandinavia, especially Denmark, are thought to be reasonably fertile; I think Scandinavia has rivers, etc. allowing for some transportation; the Baltic areas are, I believe I've read, very cold (even colder than Scandinavia), and less arable.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
1. Does Finland count as Scandinavian?
2.Isn't Denmark always counted as Scandinavian?

3. IIrc, some areas of Scandinavia, especially Denmark, are thought to be reasonably fertile; I think Scandinavia has rivers, etc. allowing for some transportation; the Baltic areas are, I believe I've read, very cold (even colder than Scandinavia), and less arable.
1. Yes.
2. Possibly; I'm not sure.
3. What about north of Denmark?

Mar 2014
Lithuania
I think causes for low population in Baltic countries are much earlier than WWI or WWII. Region is reasonably fertile and for most of the history was exporting agricultural products. Being last pagans in Europe might have had impact. Hundreds of years of constant warfare with crusaders from Christian Europe. Later rapid expansions to the east and Lithuania becoming largest country in Europe drained a lot of population. No one knows for sure how many, but a lot of Lithuanians went to newly acquired territories and got assimilated. Latter serfdom lingering for much longer and suppression of city growth probably decreased population growth. Collapse of Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth was long and brutal. Great plague killed 1/3 of population in Lithuania. In some regions 2/3 of people died. Couple of World Wars roiling over region didn't help population growth either.

Dec 2017
-------
What is the purpose of comparing countries of Baltia with Scandinavian countries? They have nothing in common with Scandinavians, except possibly Estonia in the context of Europeans. They are not similar in history, culture, mentality, language. I don't want to compare them Slavs. Balts are unique in their own way.