AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Not a mundane question. I've wondered the same.

What I've noted is that ancient Egyptian civilization has left astonishing monuments, more astonishing of the Sumerian ones, but this wouldn't explain the matter.

So?

Hieroglyphs? Well, that's a point, the mystery linked with that symbolic writing system lasted a lot and its disclosure was a great event ...

Great real tombs? An other point ... think to Tutankhamen ...

But probably the fascination for ancient Egypt is cultural: the three Abrahamic religions give a great importance to that civilization [Judaism, Christianity and Islam]. This meas that we [since we were children] hear the tale of the Exodus and ancient Egypt is more than something for us.

Aug 2014
Australia
It is a lot simpler than that. Sumer collapsed because of climate change and a period of reduced rainfall that lasted two-three centuries. Once weakened, the Akkadians moved in and smashed what was left. Egypt had the Nile so never had to suffer the more extreme consequences of drought. Egypt had good years and bad years but never endured the utter devastation of a drought that spanned generations. If you want to know why some people thrive and others don't then look at their resources - water, food, raw materials, trade goods, transportation.

Last edited:
Dec 2017
Durban
Not a mundane question. I've wondered the same.

What I've noted is that ancient Egyptian civilization has left astonishing monuments, more astonishing of the Sumerian ones, but this wouldn't explain the matter.

So?

Hieroglyphs? Well, that's a point, the mystery linked with that symbolic writing system lasted a lot and its disclosure was a great event ...

Great real tombs? An other point ... think to Tutankhamen ...

But probably the fascination for ancient Egypt is cultural: the three Abrahamic religions give a great importance to that civilization [Judaism, Christianity and Islam]. This meas that we [since we were children] hear the tale of the Exodus and ancient Egypt is more than something for us.
I think the culture lasted also because it was around for a long time. That mesopotamian region was quite unstable politically. First the cities fought than the Akkadians, then the Babylonians and other people's. In Egypt there were three long lived kingdoms

Jun 2012
Malaysia
It is a lot simpler than that. Sumer collapsed because of climate change and a period of reduced rainfall that lasted two-three centuries. Once weakened, the Akkadians moved in and smashed what was left. Egypt had the Nile so never had to suffer the more extreme consequences of drought. Egypt had good years and bad years but never endured the utter devastation of a drought that spanned generations. If you want to know why some people thrive and others don't then look at their resources - water, food, raw materials, trade goods, transportation.
Didn't the Akkadians hv to contend with a looming dominance or threat of dominance by Egypt, before coming into their own, and more or less taking over Sumer? Sargon, yeah, that's the name of the first Akkadian hero, IIRC.

Dec 2017
Durban
That is actually a great point. The Euphrates did change course which created salt pans, which adversely affected crops. Also cities that once had ports did not have them anymore. I should of been more clear about the fact that I use Sumer as a Geographic term in the video. Mainly because all the other succeeding people fell victim to the same things. Natural disaster, war, rinse and repeat.

Dec 2017
Durban
Didn't the Akkadians hv to contend with a looming dominance or threat of dominance by Egypt, before coming into their own, and more or less taking over Sumer? Sargon, yeah, that's the name of the first Akkadian hero, IIRC.
No, not from Egypt. The old Kingdom wasnt really interested in bashing its neighbors, nor the middle kingdom. That was more a New Kingdom trait The Akkadians collapsed because of natural disaster and crop failure......A common trope for the region

Satuf

Ad Honorem
Nov 2009
Nebraska
Perhaps because of the impressive monumental structures of ancient Egypt?

The cultural descendants of the Sumerians, namely the Assyrians and Neo-Babylonians, invaded Egypt (Assyrians) or defeated them in war (Babylonians).

Also, keep in mind that for the overwhelming majority of the ancient Middle East, Akkadian language and cuneiform writing were the language and script of diplomacy. So, it is somewhat debatable as to which really was the dominant culture.

Dec 2017
Durban
Perhaps because of the impressive monumental structures of ancient Egypt?

The cultural descendants of the Sumerians, namely the Assyrians and Neo-Babylonians, invaded Egypt (Assyrians) or defeated them in war (Babylonians).

Also, keep in mind that for the overwhelming majority of the ancient Middle East, Akkadian language and cuneiform writing were the language and script of diplomacy. So, it is somewhat debatable as to which really was the dominant culture.
Very true. The point I was making was that Egypt emerged dominate (at first) because they were spoiled by their environment. The middle Eastern cultures bred tough armies because they have often braved the worst environments

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Yep. A harsh climate, which cud unsuspectingly kill someone with a sudden major change of weather, I hv observed, often has a tendency to produce extremely physically resilient people. It just goes with the territory, I reckon.

Similar History Discussions