Why Egyptions were calling Punt/Somalia "the lands of gods"

Aug 2014
pakistan
While checking info about Somalia, i came across information that the land of Punt is described in ancient Egyptian texts as "the land of the gods" .......why they were calling it the land of gods? were ancient Egyptian Pharaohs originated from Somalia and surroundings?

Apr 2017
Lemuria
The Great rift valley. If there were gods, then their land would have fused with the African continent with the Great rift valley being the demarcation line.
A god of course would be something like the Sumerian gods not some frail Somali.

Last edited:
Apr 2017
Lemuria
I think you can make your argument and get your point across (though it wasn't clear to me what you were really saying; maybe you'd like to elaborate a bit), without stereotyping or caricaturing any group.
Somalis are generally very frail as are most Eastern Africans who are slender. West Africans are of more muscular build. This is how they appear to me. Extremely delicate.

Last edited:

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Somalis are generally very frail as are most Eastern Africans who are slender. West Africans are of more muscular build. This is how they appear to me. Extremely delicate.
I don't think tending to naturally have an "ectomorph" body type necessarily equates to being "frail".

But anyway that wasn't the part of your post I wanted to see you elaborate on. What were you really saying about the Great Rift Valley?

Apr 2017
Lemuria
What are you blabbing about?. My question is about ancient Egypt and Punt, not West Africa, body building etc
Well, I'm a believer in a worldwide megalithic civilization in prehistory. It's a hypothesis. Those "gods" were refugees from a worldwide calamity and some settled with hunter gatherers all around the world. Ramsses II for example is depicted taller than the commoners and probably descended from those gods. Severe inbreeding would have caused degeneration of the royal line as in Akhenaten. This is why their bodies started to look very unsightly.

This is a hypothesis, not a theory.

I'm not even a body builder.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
pakistan
Ancient cultures worshiped their ancestors and made them gods so my question was related to that, not body-building/gym. Why ancient Egyptians were calling Punt/Somalia 'the land of gods'?. Its not like actual gods/superhuman creatures were living there.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Very briefly dipping my toe in..

The Egyptian word for this place other than Punt, was Ta netjer, which means the Land of the God, or God's Land, singular. Why they called it this I have no idea, and I'm not sure anybody knows.

As for it's location, then I concur with John Romer on this and think that Punt was never a land or single location, but a generic name for Africa way south of Nubia were "wonderful things" came from that were otherwise scarce or unobtainable. In modern times we see the Land of Punt as a nation, or maybe just a city state, but back in the days, and indeed not so far back, use of "land" was not as specific as it is now, it is rather like "Here be dragons" on a 17th Century map, but for Egyptians the "land" of Punt was "Here be riches". But it's all still very vague.

Aug 2014
pakistan
And i hope my thread is not trolled by the American gibberish "we wuz kingz and shiet"......i am interested in actual African/Somalian/Egyptian history, not that American non-sense

Similar History Discussions