Why France did not insist occupying natural borders of Frannce and try to annex Rhineland in 1945 ?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I see why I didn't know about it. Very little to find about it in Dutch.
I suspect because it was immediately rejected by the Americans.
Plus the chap Bakker-Schut seems to have been first director of the "Rijksdienst voor het Nationale Plan", which was started in 1941. Which means the guy was at least collaborating a little.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
What I'm wondering is if the Netherlands would have had enough people to settle all of this Lebensraum if it would have actually acquired it.

Thoughts?
Easily. We were (and are) one of the most densely populated countries in the world and certainly in Europe.
I suspect that in particular the agricultural grounds and industrial areas would be inhabited in no time. Seeing that after WW2 many left Holland to US/Canada (and Australia and New Zealand) for better pastures, which was actively promoted. I saw it first hand in Washington when I saw almost identical farms.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Easily. We were (and are) one of the most densely populated countries in the world and certainly in Europe.
I suspect that in particular the agricultural grounds and industrial areas would be inhabited in no time. Seeing that after WW2 many left Holland to US/Canada (and Australia and New Zealand) for better pastures, which was actively promoted. I saw it first hand in Washington when I saw almost identical farms.
Washington state, correct? After all, I'd be strongly surprised if there were farms in Washington D.C.!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, while we're talking about the topic of Dutch Lebensraum, do you see any other territories which could have been attractive as Lebensraum for the Dutch at some point in history?