Why is Belarus so sparsely populated relative to Poland and Ukraine?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why is Belarus so sparsely populated relative to Poland and Ukraine? I mean, on this map Poland and Ukraine are shown as being much more densely populated than Belarus is:

Why exactly is this the case? Why do Poland and Ukraine each have around 40 million people while Belarus has only around 10 million people in spite of being of a comparable size?

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
My guess would be its terrain, climate, northerly location which firmly puts in the same camp as Russia, the Baltic's, Finland etc. Cold Climate, lots of forest and swap, people don't want to live there. If you re look at the map, you can see it looks a lot like those countries I mentioned.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Belarus also suffered large population losses during WWII. Over two million residents were killed during the three years of Nazi occupation.

Belarus suffered the worst devastation of any country during the war in terms of a percentage of its population. Over a quarter of its population, 2,290,000 people, died during the conflict.

This Chart Shows The Astounding Devastation Of World War II

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
My guess would be its terrain, climate, northerly location which firmly puts in the same camp as Russia, the Baltic's, Finland etc. Cold Climate, lots of forest and swap, people don't want to live there. If you re look at the map, you can see it looks a lot like those countries I mentioned.
The European countries with a density of less than 50 people/sqkm are:

Montenegro 47
Belarus 46
Lithuania 43
Latvia 30
Estonia 28
Sweden 22
Norway 16
Finland 16
Iceland 3

Figures seem to confirm Your reasonement.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Belarus also suffered large population losses during WWII. Over two million residents were killed during the three years of Nazi occupation.

Belarus suffered the worst devastation of any country during the war in terms of a percentage of its population. Over a quarter of its population, 2,290,000 people, died during the conflict.

This Chart Shows The Astounding Devastation Of World War II
Yes, I know that. This certainly contributed to Belarus's relatively low population today--though it's worth noting that Ukraine, Russia, and the Baltic states likewise suffered huge losses in WWII--albeit not quite as huge as those of Belarus.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The European countries with a density of less than 50 people/sqkm are:

Montenegro 47
Belarus 46
Lithuania 43
Latvia 30
Estonia 28
Sweden 22
Norway 16
Finland 16
Iceland 3

Figures seem to confirm Your reasonement.
Montenegro is a big exception here, no? Of course, it also has the highest population density out of the "below 50" countries.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, that and deaf tuner's comment here appears to confirm this.