Why is China scared of Tibet?

Apr 2018
Los Angeles
The Chinese government fears Tibet the same way it fears the Uighurs; because the peoples there aspire for independence and separatism which is why they’re fighting tooth and nail to protect the country from splintering. Will they succeed? Who knows? Only time will tell. The CCP is indeed a ruthless but pragmatic government. If I had to guess, Tibet and Xinjiang will most likely end up like Inner Mongolia and Manchuria where the entire area eventually becomes majority Han and the natives either die out or assimilate completely. The Han have the numerical advantage; might as well use it.

Feb 2011
Songtsen had earlier posted that he does not live in Tibet.

Probably he is not ethnic Tibetan also.
Looking back he lived in Sichuan which was claimed by Lhasa government, and today much of it is still claimed by the Dalai Lama as a part of Tibet.

I lost track of the number of times he said he was Tibetan, I don't know how anything you say can change that.

And even if you don't believe him about his background, it's not that hard to find out that China practiced a giant lump of affirmative action for minority ethnic groups. I already knew that Tibetans weren't legally bound by the one child policy, I didn't know how the new two child policy affected them until Songtsen told me, because I left before that policy became inforce. Because people are only allowed to classify under one ethnic group in China, those of mixed heritage would almost always choose to be the minority in order to take advantage of the perks of affirmative action. As someone who lived years in China I can testify to this. I just didn't know the specifics about minority housing and subsidies provided by the government. And it's not that hard to find the Chinese TV channels on youtube which specifically uses the Tibetan language for a Tibetan audience, that is if you know which channels you're looking for.

From the "Background Paper on the Situation of the Tibetan Population, commissioned by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Protection Information Section":
Overall, what follows from the above is that there is very little permanent Han migration into the TAR itself, apart from Lhasa. There was some state-driven Han migration of cadres into Tibet and other Tibetan areas until the 1980s, and a great deal of short-term Han migration to Lhasa in the 1990s, most of it voluntary and aimed at economic profit. Tibetans remain in the majority in most of the Tibetan areas outside of Tibet, if one accepts the Chinese definition of what constitutes the Tibetan areas and that the number of Han immigrants there actually fell in the 1990s. If we accept the TGIE’s calim for the territories that constitute Tibet then the number of Han rises greatly, because it includes the eastern segment of Qinghai, where most of the province’s people live. Overall, however, it is difficult to accept the Tibetan diaspora claims [that] the PRC has attempted to dilute the Tibetan nation through Han immigration to the extent of it amount to “cultural genocide”” - United Nations Commissioner for Refugees Background Paper on the Situation of the Tibetan Population, by Professor Colin P. Mackerras

“Yet foreign supporters of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan exile community commonly report that the PRC government has been transferring huge numbers of Han Chinese migrants into Tibet, numerically swamping the Tibetans there, claims that are widely believed internationally. For example, one such analysis reports that Han Chinese have become the “New Majority” in Tibet through in-migration, which the Dalai Lama has referred to as “demographic aggression” (Tibet Support Group UK 1995: 1)

How is this claim supported? First, these observers define “Tibet” as “historic Tibet”, that is, the vast area ruled by the Tibetan Tubo dynasty in the eighth century C.E., or “ethnographic Tibet”, meaning all those areas where there are concentrations of Tibetans in villages, towns, or cities. However, using such a definition of Tibet ignores the fact that for centuries, Tibetans in China outside of what is now the Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR) have been living as part of Qinghai, Gansu, Sichuan, and Yunnan provinces. Han Chinese were moving into these areas for centuries or at least decades before the founding of the PRC in 1949, by the constituting over 50 percent of the population in some Sichuan and Qinghai counties where Tibetans live. This process of Han in-migration has indeed continued in Qinghai and some other Tibetan-inhabited areas outside the TAR, but the “Tibet” that was ruled from Lhasa during China’s Nationalist period 1912-1949 is the TAR only, and this Tibet is far from being swamped with Han immigrants.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
world
Songtsen had earlier posted that he does not live in Tibet.

Probably he is not ethnic Tibetan also.
I am as Tibetan as they come. I do not live in Tibet if you meant it to be Tibetan Autonomous region. I live in Chengdu mostly and my hometown is Derge, Sichuan. It is in western Sichuan and almost whole of sichuan area is populated by ethnic Tibetans. We are perhaps even more purer Tibetans than the central Tibetans of TAR.

Oct 2015
India
I am as Tibetan as they come. I do not live in Tibet if you meant it to be Tibetan Autonomous region. I live in Chengdu mostly and my hometown is Derge, Sichuan. It is in western Sichuan and almost whole of sichuan area is populated by ethnic Tibetans. We are perhaps even more purer Tibetans than the central Tibetans of TAR.
Yes Songtsen that is what my memory was that you were not living in Tibet.

Nice to know that you are a Tibetan.

Oct 2013
Canada
Lithuania, your country, was occupied by USSR on 15 Jun 1940 (just like Tibet was occupied by China on 1950s). Later Lithuania's independence was restored on 11 Mar 1990.

The same historical process will likely replicate - as a couple of members here have mentioned - for Tibet because Tibetans have maintained their distinct identity. This is the reason why 'China is scared of Tibet'.
The Tibetan identity we observe in Tibet is an ethnic group under a supranational identity, known as "Chinese" and this identity is shared by Tibetan Chinese with Han Chinese and Mongol Chinese.

Saying Tibetans are different from Chinese is like claiming Punjabis are different from Indian. It is a nonsensical statement.

Oct 2013
Canada
The most dominant image about Chinese government is of a man standing in on a road of the Tiananmen Square when tanks drove in; and then drove over him.
Dominant image is a man getting driven over - that just shows you how we have to stop believing things just because more people believe in it. The Massacre Myth is popular, but popularity does not make it true.

We can clearly see the man was not driven over from the videos. The tank wanted to go around and he was pulled away.

So you say that tank did not roll over the man but we do not know what happened to him.
So you now admit that "we do know what happened to him."

But your original claim despite the knowing the uncertainty of the fate of the tank man is "he got driven over."

This is intellectual dishonesty. You have a preset partial bias against the PRC, and everything is used as a confirmation bias.

Similar History Discussions