Why is government paternalism wrong?

Nov 2014
ph
I guess you can make the argument that the majority of people are too stupid to rule themselves, why is paternalism wrong, considering that the average IQ in rich countries is only 100 or so, barely enough to graduate from a lousy community college, and in poor countries like in Indonesia, the average IQ is even lower, like 85, or the average person there is mentally retarded going by the old psychometric standards.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
considering that the average IQ in rich countries is only 100 or so, barely enough to graduate from a lousy community college, and in poor countries like in Indonesia, the average IQ is even lower, like 85, or the average person there is mentally retarded going by the old psychometric standards.
Which should tell you that IQ is a ridiculous basis on which to base a question on Historum.

Mar 2019
Kansas
You are no longer asking? Regarding the OP, I don't think many adults desire to be controlled and dictated to. The question becomes how to apply the liberty that most desire.
However that liberty can be a perception as well. I recently saw an interview with a group of Singaporean college kids. They were asked about the levels of freedom in Singapore compared to the US. One made a very cutting comment. "At least I can go to school and have the freedom from fear of being shot"

Reactions: Kotromanic
Nov 2014
ph
You are no longer asking? Regarding the OP, I don't think many adults desire to be controlled and dictated to. The question becomes how to apply the liberty that most desire.
Why do people deserve freedom? Just because they say they do?

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
However that liberty can be a perception as well. I recently saw an interview with a group of Singaporean college kids. They were asked about the levels of freedom in Singapore compared to the US. One made a very cutting comment. "At least I can go to school and have the freedom from fear of being shot"
Good point. "Freedom and Liberty" and big words. We often focus just on Freedom To while ignoring Freedom From.

All else equal, a man in a country with a freedom to vote has more liberty than a man in a country that does not have that freedom.

All else equal, a woman in a safe country with a freedom from rape has more liberty than a women who is from a rape capital city or nation.

Freedom to protest, freedom from hunger, freedom to make fake news, freedom from unsafe drinking water, freedom to run for president, freedom from political instability... These are all liberties.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Why do people deserve freedom? Just because they say they do?
Because if they are not free, then someone else has authority over them. So then the question is who this person or group is that supposedly had rightful authority over their fellow man? And why? What gave them that right?

This is where the concept of rule of law and citizens' right to rule themselves, and the attendant political system, operates. It's that – we are ruled by laws (that we jointly decided), and through mechanisms that allows us to as members of a self-determining community to rule ourselves – or the alternative that we are not citizens but subjects, and someone – person, party, clique, institution – rules over us.