Why is Henry VII not regarded by the Welsh as a hero

Mar 2019
Kansas
Sorry I have never heard of that, if anything the Tudors repealed the penal laws and made Welsh people equal and many prospered in London under Royal patronage
And he definitely had wide support in Wales on his march to Bosworth. In fact by all reports the locals were pretty pumped a Welsh boy had the chance to become king.

Oct 2010
Glasgow
I think the truth possibly lies in the fact that although arrived with a bang he was perhaps considered by later generations both Welsh and English alike as being a rather dull King. When people think of the great monarchs of England most of us automatically think of the great warrior kings such as Richard I , Edward's I et III and Henry V, or the great scoundrels such as King John, Richard II and of course Henry's old sparring partner Richard III. Yet I would imagine for most of us if we were asked to name an English King the first name and image which would spring fully formed from our minds would be that of Henry's spendthrift and serial wife mongerering son Henry VIII. I guess it is just human nature for people to be drawn to stand out characters like the flamboyant and fiery Henry VIII or the devious and machiavellian Richard III than we are to more frugal, serious and hard working yet rather boring Henry VII.

Which is a pity as Henry VII was actually a very good King on many levels starting with his stabilising of the Kingdom after the years of civil war. He reformed the laws and in Foreign policy were concluded both a treaty of perpertual peace with Scotland and an alliance with the Holy Roman Empire. Yet it is probably in the realm of economics and Trade that he proved most astute and is perhaps most famous for. Through a mixture of talent, opportunism and fiscal foresight he transformed a Kingdom near bankrupt in the wake of both the Hundred Years War and the subsequent civil wars back onto and even and prosperous keel. Henry VII found a divided and bankrupt Kingdom when he seized the throne but left it both peaceful internally and externally and prospering to boot. It is a sad irony that this King is and his achievements are not hailed in England nevermind Wales and that both his Arch-Rival and controversial son are far better rememembered than he.

Oct 2010
Glasgow
And approved of the translation of the Bible into Welsh.
Not too sure about that? Translating the Bible into any vernacular other than Latin or Greek was strictly frowned upon by both "The Holy See" or ruling monarchs during the 15th or 16th Centuries. This act would have been seen as heretical by the Pope and Holy roman Emperor alike two parties whom Henry needed to court in order secure and legitimise his position as English Monarch considering his slightly dubious claim.

Similar History Discussions