Why is history class screwed over?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
While it shouldn't be true, I think we all have to acknowledge that history classes are far too often nationalistic propaganda. Certainly that has been my experience in the US. Education is a state function, and the state wants to turn children into patriotic tax payers (and to a lesser extent voters and sometimes into soldiers). My experience of history instruction in the 1970s was all about "Hooray for America!" (I think I know where America-centric views of world history come from.) Slavery, Indian policy, Japanese internment, and other national disgraces were mentioned but very quickly glossed over. What little I'm seeing in high school level history instruction in more recent years is doing a better job of teaching mistakes that should not be repeated, but looking at the way Americans at large think about and understand the past, I think we're still not getting our money's worth out of history instruction.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
While it shouldn't be true, I think we all have to acknowledge that history classes are far too often nationalistic propaganda. Certainly that has been my experience in the US. Education is a state function, and the state wants to turn children into patriotic tax payers (and to a lesser extent voters and sometimes into soldiers). My experience of history instruction in the 1970s was all about "Hooray for America!" (I think I know where America-centric views of world history come from.) Slavery, Indian policy, Japanese internment, and other national disgraces were mentioned but very quickly glossed over. What little I'm seeing in high school level history instruction in more recent years is doing a better job of teaching mistakes that should not be repeated, but looking at the way Americans at large think about and understand the past, I think we're still not getting our money's worth out of history instruction.
In Canada, it is official that we acknowledge our past mistakes, such as residential schools and head taxes for Chinese immigrants.
Why is teaching of history difficult?
We all want our states (for many people, this includes their current states of residence and their ancestral states) to be great; then, is this possible?
For example, if your country is relatively new and lacks a glorious history, what do you think?

Similar History Discussions